Thread: [SOLVED] Problems with Wireless network on Toshiba, detects networks but can not conn

Beans

[SOLVED] Problems with Wireless network on Toshiba, detects networks but can not conn

HI Firends, I have a Toshiba Satellite A305D-SP6801 (AMD 64 and the same hardware all A305D have). This laptop has a Wireless network adapter from Atheros which as I have seen in Google it is one of the most problematics if not the most problematic for Ubuntu.
    I've achieved after a lot of work to make it work and to detect wireless networks on ratio with this adapter (still can not believe this !) but when I thought everything was solved I found one new problem which Google couldn't solve.

When I click the network I would like to connect to, Ubuntu asks for the WPA password (this is correct, the network security is personal WPA), I type the password and it starts connecting, after a while it connects but I can not browse the net with firefox, not even Google works. After a while it asks me for the password again and a loop starts. I have tried to connect manually by inserting the ESSID and a static IP adress but I still can not browse the net.
    I have checked the list of "Attached devices" which my router has but my computer does not appear in that list.

Does somebody have any idea?
    Thanks !
    Last edited by mroski; October 11th, 2008 at 03:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Problems with Wireless network on Toshiba, detects networks but can not connect.

I have a similar issue... Toshiba with Atheros 9k. I did modprobe and got my wireless addapter up and running, it detected the network, got connected to the net and dhcp worked, but no internet connection. Did I miss a step?
    Last edited by biphtec; October 11th, 2008 at 06:52 PM.

Beans

Re: Problems with Wireless network on Toshiba, detects networks but can not connect.

New info. I have created a new wireless network by clicking the network icon and selecting that option. It appeared to be working fine but then I searched for that new network from another computer with Windows XP which was not far than 3 meters from my laptop and couldn't find the network.

Do you think it may be a problem with the controller?
    I installed it with madwifi and now in System -> Hardware Controllers appears Atheros and some text, sorry but as I haven't got Internet in Ubuntu I am using another computer so I can not read what says. That controller appears as "In Use".

Any idea???

Beans

SOLVED !

The solution was much more than stup@#, the password of my Network has a 'ñ' and apparently Ubuntu could not connect to the network because of that 'ñ', changed that and now it works ! I just can not believe it !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Nice work! I wish mine was that easy. I have to keep popping back and forth between vista and ubuntu and its getting old fast. I'm going to use a thumb drive to copy and paste the typical barf code, maybe that will flag someones memory and get me a fix.

Beans

If you can connect to the network then everything should be working fine (should).
    What you can check is wether the router detects you or not, thats something important.
    If I were you I would try to go to a mall or somewhere with free WiFi access and check if Internet works.

Why don't you open a new topic here?
    Maybe someone with higer experience could help you better.

Regards.