Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: centOS 5.2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

centOS 5.2

Has anyone tried centOS 5.2? I am using it right now and i am impressed by it. Its fast and very responsive. Very stable.

Just my thoughts.

Beans
    Distro

Re: centOS 5.2

I too am using CentOS 5.2 and am loving it! Why does gnome seem faster in it than it is in ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro

CentOS is quite literally Redhat minus Redhat's artwork. Which explains why it is so stable. It is indeed a fine Linux distro.

Beans
    Distro

Indeed. I have set everything up including nvidia. It's fast. I would like to ask the same question someone asked before.

Could someone explain why gnome is very fast in centOS? It's instant ! Is it because the way it is compiled? good to know...

Beans
    Distro

Is it just me or does Firefox seem to scroll slower than it does in Ubuntu?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by neoflight View Post
    Could someone explain why gnome is very fast in centOS? It's instant ! Is it because the way it is compiled? good to know...
    Probably because it includes few modifications to make it "friendly". Check out Paldo for crazy GNOME speed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Not adding much, but I have to agree I think Centos is fantastic.

Beans

It looks alright, may have to give it a go.
    [CENTER]Proudly ubuntu since '05

Beans
    Distro

I would encourage everyone to give it a try. Especially those who like to have a stable distro but 'not so' cutting edge compared to fedora/ubuntu.

They have a nice simple forum and very knowledgeable and humble people. That's an icing to the cake for me to stay. They have wiki for some essential things such as java, graphics driver, ntfs access, multimedia etc..

The repo is not so big. But I have my system set up with all I want. Still working on ntfs-3g support on start up...

Those of you want to run a server/webserver, as far as my experience goes, centos so far the best choice (neck and neck with debian stable )

get it here

Note: I am still trying to get 'suspend' working. So that's still a lingering question.
    Last edited by neoflight; October 24th, 2008 at 01:28 PM. Reason: forgot something

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

CentOS 5.2 was included in the November APC cover disk, so I thought I'd give it a try. I'm running the live CD and am quite impressed. Runs fast, nice choice of apps, and looks great. Excellent icons. I could definately see myself using this if Ubuntu dissapeared.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast