Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes a computer slow?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

What makes a computer slow?

I've been wondering this for a while. I mean usually every 1-2 years, most people will get a new computer because the one they have now is going slow. I want to know what causes this? Dust on the Motherboard?

P.S. I got a good midterm today for the 1st quarter.
    Never mind.Kept screwing up XFCE.XD
    http://www.crashie.com will crash an IE install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: What makes a computer slow?

Dust on the motherboard, fan, hard drives, etc sometimes does have an impact on the overall system performance. Moving the computer (desktops) alot can also mess up some parts, not deadly, but definately enough to slow down the system.

But mostly, hardware is usually not the problem. It is usually the operating system. For example in Windows you have to defrag every other day and you have to watch out for viruses. Most average people don't know how to take care of this so that's why they think the computer (the actual computer) is slower. So they get another one...

Blog | I'm available for programming contributions. C & Python.
    Intel Core i7 920 | EVGA x58 SLI | NVidia GeForce 8600 GT | WD 500GB HDD | Corsair XMS3 3GB | Ubuntu 9.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I know. When I installed Ubuntu on my 3 year old desktop computer it was running a lot quicker. Anyone who can get in and clean those computer parts are lucky.

Beans

tempeture, OS, proccesses. there are a lot of things which can limit a computer. mostly the Operating system though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

When massive switches from version X of a popular program to version X+1 happen with a concomitant increase in hardware specs (specially RAM), people tend to be forced to upgrade.
    This wouldn't happen with open format-friendly software, of course.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Now I am really thinking the OS is doing this.(By OS I mean about Windows...) I mean think about it. Installing programs in Windows just clutters it up. It also makes the startup take some time.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by brunovecchi View Post
    When massive switches from version X of a popular program to version X+1 happen with a concomitant increase in hardware specs (specially RAM), people tend to be forced to upgrade.
    This wouldn't happen with open format-friendly software, of course.
    Even just getting basic internet access required an upgrade for some of us. Two dektops prior to the one I currently use, I needed an upgrade from a'286-based machine to a "'386 or better" (turned out to be a Pentium) to get connected. (If I'd known what I was doing, a hack might have been possible)
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!

Somebody at a local computer repair showed me a program on Windows when he was trying to fix things. It's "msconfig", and a few tabs to the right you can adjust the things to start automatically.

It didn't do any good in my case, but that little program could do a lot of things. It's right up there with Kill Process on the task manager.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by niccholaspage View Post
    Now I am really thinking the OS is doing this.(By OS I mean about Windows...) I mean think about it. Installing programs in Windows just clutters it up. It also makes the startup take some time.
    Hence why people re-format their windows pcs every 6 months if they're anal.
    If you haven't noticed, when you install the graphics drivers on XP boot-up takes an age longer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by snova View Post
    Somebody at a local computer repair showed me a program on Windows when he was trying to fix things. It's "msconfig", and a few tabs to the right you can adjust the things to start automatically.
    I remember that program. That helped a lot with my laptop's Vista install.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustacha View Post
    Hence why people re-format their windows pcs every 6 months if they're anal.
    If you haven't noticed, when you install the graphics drivers on XP boot-up takes an age longer.
    I formated my computer with Windows XP twice before I installed Ubuntu because of its slowness.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast