Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What makes a computer slow?

Beans

Re: What makes a computer slow?

Even old computers can be made to run quite fast. (for people like me, that means cheap computers that you easily fix up to be faster than modern computers with Vista and sell).

For the average PC, it gets slower because of Windows. Windows slows down drastically. The default OEM configurations with their trial-ware and anti-virus, etc makes this much worse. The average user typically gets a few things which slow it down even more.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    Even old computers can be made to run quite fast. (for people like me, that means cheap computers that you easily fix up to be faster than modern computers with Vista and sell).

For the average PC, it gets slower because of Windows. Windows slows down drastically. The default OEM configurations with their trial-ware and anti-virus, etc makes this much worse. The average user typically gets a few things which slow it down even more.
    yes but this trend seems to be invading linux too, with compiz becoming more popular and more graphical fancy stuff I have seen linux slow down over time too.
    Ubuntu has done this to me.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyRabbiera View Post
    yes but this trend seems to be invading linux too, with compiz becoming more popular and more graphical fancy stuff I have seen linux slow down over time too.
    Really? In what time scale? I have ran Ubuntu for over 9 months and didn't notice any slow downs.

Quote Originally Posted by OutOfReach View Post
    Dust on the motherboard, fan, hard drives, etc sometimes does have an impact on the overall system performance. Moving the computer (desktops) alot can also mess up some parts, not deadly, but definately enough to slow down the system.
    True. Dirty computers suffer. And what was that old Mac that had heat problems that would cause the memory to shift out of the board? and the solution was to pick it up and drop it on the desktop to reseat the chips? Or is that an urban myth?
    Quote Originally Posted by OutOfReach View Post
    But mostly, hardware is usually not the problem. It is usually the operating system.
    Big +1.
    Quote Originally Posted by brunovecchi View Post
    When massive switches from version X of a popular program to version X+1 happen with a concomitant increase in hardware specs (specially RAM), people tend to be forced to upgrade.
    This wouldn't happen with open format-friendly software, of course.
    Or when Ballmer needs a new car. Suddenly your computer gets slooower. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustacha View Post
    Hence why people re-format their windows pcs every 6 months if they're anal.
    Pfft. I was a once-a-week rebuilder. But I could also tell the difference between a pure Windows installation and one that had gotten system updates or service packs. Funny how software upgrades made my computer slower and slower and slower until ... Ballmer must need a new car. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shippou View Post
    I do think that slow is a relative term... As said by cariboo907, people maybe are used to them so they feel slow.
    I'd buy that. People say, "You know, I'm tired of this old computer. And it's getting so slow." I've seen that happen in offices a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shippou View Post
    However, these usually the things that make a computer slower (IMO):

1. Programs, especially CPU- and RAM-intensive ones.
    2. OS. Anyway, this is basically what the user sees and manipulate directly, right?
    3. Games. This one deserve special mention, because games requirements are usually the ones that drive hardware specs up in the marketplace.
    4. Old hardware. Generally, old hardware is slower than new ones.
    5. General programs or general hardware. What I mean here is, for example, using the CPU instead of the video card to process graphics.
    6. Autoloading and running processes.
    7. Dust, temperature, etc.
    8. Natural wear and tear.
    9. User perception.
    10.Technological advances.
    Good list.
    Possibly, if we're talking about default desktop environments. I'd agree that the pure Dapper desktop was faster than the Hardy one, but you do have the option to prune away at a Linux system until you get some speed out of it.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by niccholaspage View Post
    I know. When I installed Ubuntu on my 3 year old desktop computer it was running a lot quicker. Anyone who can get in and clean those computer parts are lucky.
    A can of air and cable ties are real useful when you want to keep things tidy and clean. I took a can of air and after I cleaned the PC the CPU temperature went down from 88F to 75F in Ubuntu.

I know what else needs a clean up, my files.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

You have other distros like Xubuntu. Switching from Ubuntu to Xubuntu would barely decrease productivity and would roll even in older PCs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I will need to become older before I can clean out everything in the computer
    Never mind.Kept screwing up XFCE.XD
    http://www.crashie.com will crash an IE install.

Beans

Ask your dad for help. I bet he will assist you when you need help when you ask for it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by nick09 View Post
    Ask your dad for help. I bet he will assist you when you need help when you ask for it.
    I guess I will.
    Never mind.Kept screwing up XFCE.XD
    http://www.crashie.com will crash an IE install.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

No you dont. Only be more careful.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast