Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Howto: Get the Canon MP210 and MP220 scan-copy-printers to work in Ubuntu Hardy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Smile Howto: Get the Canon MP210 and MP220 scan-copy-printers to work in Ubuntu Hardy

Read first: If you're using a recent version of Ubuntu*, ignore the entire post; just follow this red section.

1. Plug the printer in, and Ubuntu will try and install it, but fail.
    2. Go to 'Printing', either through System>Administration>Printing, or type printing in the home thing.
    3. Click Add, select your printer, and when asked about drivers, leave the default - Select printer from database and Canon.
    4. At the next drivers page choose PIXMA MP220. If MP220 isn't there, try the next lowest number i.e. 210, then 180, then 160.

Scanning works out of the box, you just need to press the Scan button before.

* I've only tried this on 11.10, but have read that it works out of the box since 10.04.

-----For older dists-----

There are various posts and blogs about describing how to get the Canon PIXMA MP* all-in-one printers to work in Linux.

This has been tested on the PIXMA MP220, but the MP210 is very likely to work (since it is actually its drivers we are using), and other printers in the MP range may also work.

1. You can set the printer up, but please don't plug it in to the USB port yet; doing so will make Ubuntu install it as a text-only printer, which is not what we want.

If you did this already (like I did (-: ), unplug it from your computer, then go to System>Administration>Printing, click on your printer in the left hand column, click delete, then OK.

2. Go to http://support-au.canon.com.au/EN/se...os%3d%3dLinux& and download all the drivers you need. Basically, you will need everything that says Debian in the title. There should be four downloads. When I did it, it was the first four listed. [Edit: this link is now dead. Google for the files in step 3 instead. They still seem to be on the support-au.canon.com.au site, but are hard to find.]

3. Double click on each package <in the following order>, and choose to install the package.
    --1. cnijfilter-common_2.80-1_i386.deb
    --2. cnijfilter-mp210series_2.80-1_i386.deb
    --3. scangearmp-common_1.10-1_i386.deb
    --4. scangearmp-mp210series_1.10-1_i386.deb

4. Restart your computer.

5. Once you are logged on, plug in your printer and switch it on. Ubuntu should detect your printer, and tell you it used the MP210 driver for it. (This is correct even if you are using the MP220.)

6. Print something to test the printer is set up properly. If scanning works, you can stop here.

-----Please read the next few posts from this thread before continuing and/or you have problems after this point.-----

Note: It now seems like you can just press the 'scan' button on the printer, wait for it to switch to scan mode, then scan your document as usual. If this works, you don't need to continue.

7. From http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ease_id=584777 download the file. It should say something like mp150-0.14.4.tar.bz2 .

8. Open up a terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal), and cd to the directory which you saved it to. For example, if you saved it to your desktop, you would type:
    Code:
    cd Desktop
    9. Extract the file by doing:
    Code:
    tar -xvjf mp150*.tar.bz2
    cd mp150*/
    10. Compile it by typing:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential
    make NDEBUG=yes
    11. And check everything is correct:
    Code:
    sudo ./scan -x 10 -y 15 -w 51 -h 25 -1 -d 20 -W pixmascan.pnm
    Your printer should whurr a bit, and there should be some output, but no errors.

12. Install the scanner drivers:
    Code:
    ls /usr/lib/sane/libsane-pixma.so.1.0.*
    Look at the output and bear in mind what is written. For me it said /usr/lib/sane/libsane-pixma.so.1.0.19 but this may be different for you. Replace 1.0.19 below if you got something different.
    Code:
    sudo mv /usr/lib/sane/libsane-pixma.so.1.0.19 /usr/lib/sane/libsane-pixma.so.1.0.19.old
    sudo cp libsane-pixma.so /usr/lib/sane/libsane-pixma.so.1.0.19
    13. At this point, only the root user would be able to use the scanner, so we need a few extra steps to allow others to use it. First we need the USB address. Type:
    Code:
    lsusb
    This will list all the usb devices plugged in to your computer. There should be a line ending in "Canon, Inc." (There may be more if you use other Canon products.) It should look something like:
    Bus 006 Device 006: ID 04a9:1722 Canon, Inc.
    The important part it the code after ID, in this case 04a9:1722 . You need to keep a record of this number. Either write it down or know how to use scrollback in your terminal.
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/45-libsane.rules
    In this file add the following lines:
    Code:
    # Canon PIXMA
    SYSFS{idVendor}=="04a9", SYSFS{idProduct}=="1722", MODE="664", GROUP="scanner"
    Change the bits in red to match up to your ID.

14. Close gedit, and back at the terminal, type:
    Code:
    sudo udevcontrol reload_rules
    Now try your scanner, and see if it works! Note that you must be in the group called 'scanner' to use it.

For example, if you are using GIMP, from the main window, click File>Acquire>XSane>Device Dialog.

Let me know how you get on.

References:
    This tutorial is heavily based on the following web pages:
    - http://mp610.blogspot.com/2008/02/ca...oin-party.html
    - http://mp610.blogspot.com/2007/11/ne...non-mp610.html
    - http://ubuntu-utah.ubuntuforums.org/...d.php?t=556980
    Last edited by ezramorris; October 11th, 2011 at 12:12 AM. Reason: update for oneiric

Beans

Re: Howto: Get the Canon MP210 and MP220 scan-copy-printers to work in Ubuntu Hardy

hello!I am beginner with ubuntu!I need your help!I I followed your instractions and at the first time the printer works.After i tried to fix the scanner.And now i cant print or scan..I dont know hot to fix it.Now i tried to print but in the desktop says "Not connected?
    Printer 'MP220_series'may not be connected"

Thanks in advance

Beans
    Distro

Re: Howto: Get the Canon MP210 and MP220 scan-copy-printers to work in Ubuntu Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by kostas4einny View Post
    hello!I am beginner with ubuntu!I need your help!I I followed your instractions and at the first time the printer works.After i tried to fix the scanner.And now i cant print or scan..I dont know hot to fix it.Now i tried to print but in the desktop says "Not connected?
    Printer 'MP220_series'may not be connected"

Thanks in advance
    Hi,
    Welcome to Ubuntu Forums!
    Did the printer work after step 6?
    Last edited by ezramorris; October 12th, 2008 at 04:07 PM. Reason: welcome

Beans

Hi,Thanks for the quick answer!Yes the printer worked after step 6.But it doesn't work now.I did something wrong with the scanner.

Beans
    Distro

Hi,Thanks for the quick answer!Yes the printer worked after step 6.But it doesn't work now.I did something wrong with the scanner.
    OK, the following steps should take you back to the step 5 state.

1. Unplug your printer from your computer.

2. Go to System>Administration>Printing, select your MP??? printer, then click delete.

3. Open a terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal), and type one of the following. If your /etc/udev/rules.d/45-libsane.rules file had stuff in before you added the two PIXMA lines, then:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/45-libsane.rules
    and remove the two lines you added.

Otherwise, if the file was empty to start with, just do:
    Code:
    sudo rm /etc/udev/rules.d/45-libsane.rules
    4. Now type the following lines:
    Code:
    sudo mv -f /usr/lib/sane/libsane-pixma.so.1.0.19.old /usr/lib/sane/libsane-pixma.so.1.0.19
    sudo apt-get --reinstall install cnijfilter-common cnijfilter-mp210series scangearmp-common scangearmp-mp210series
    5. Reboot, and after you have logged on, plug in the printer, and it should detect and install it as before.

You should now be able to print. You may still be able to scan, although it will be very primitive. In a terminal, cd to the directory where you downloaded the .tar.gz file, and try using the provided scan utility, for example:
    Code:
    cd Desktop/mp150*/
    ./scan -1 -p A4 ~/image1.pnm
    (-1 is a one not an el)
    All being well, this should create an image called image1.pnm in your home folder, although the quality won't be that great.

In theory, you can use the option -r to select the resolution, eg. -r 300, but when I tried it, it crashed the scanner. If this happens, wait for the program to exit (ie. the terminal will return to username@host:~ or something), unplug the printer, reboot, logon, then plug the scanner back in again.

You can find all the options if you type ./scan --help.

Hope this helps.

Beans

Yes!! It print 's now!But i cant scan. I wrote this
    "cd Desktop/mp150*/
    ./scan -1 -p A4 ~/image1.pnm" in terminal and the answer was
    No supported scanner found!

Beans
    Distro

Yes!! It print 's now!But i cant scan. I wrote this
    "cd Desktop/mp150*/
    ./scan -1 -p A4 ~/image1.pnm" in terminal and the answer was
    No supported scanner found!
    Try putting sudo in front to run it as root, ie.
    Code:
    sudo ./scan -1 -p A4 ~/image1.pnm

Beans

Yes!!! Thank you very much!I appriciate that!It works now!!
    I have to last questions.Firstly,this will work if move the folder mp150-0.14.4 ?
    Secondly ,do you know how i can save the images to another folder than home/username ?

Beans
    Distro

Yes!!! Thank you very much!I appriciate that!It works now!!
    You're welcome.
    I have to last questions.Firstly,this will work if move the folder mp150-0.14.4 ?
    Yes. Obviously you will have to cd to that new directory before running ./scan.
    Secondly ,do you know how i can save the images to another folder than home/username ?
    Yes. ~ represents /home/yourusername, so just change ~/image1.pnm to the path that you want, but I would suggest putting it somewhere in your home directory.

Be very careful when doing anything with this command. Since you are running as root (via sudo), it means you are basically allowing it to do anything on your system, so in theory you could overwrite some vital file.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by ezramorris View Post
    There are various posts and blogs about describing how to get the Canon PIXMA MP* all-in-one printers to work in Linux.

This has been tested on the PIXMA MP220, but the MP210 is very likely to work (since it is actually its drivers we are using), and other printers in the MP range may also work.
    Thanks a lot for this info! The MP220 is printing as we speak the scanning part is the next challenge (but not so urgent for now).

Best!
    Fred

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast