Thread: Linux in The Economist

Beans

Linux in The Economist

Someone wrote a letter to the editor of the Economist (a major British news/business magazine that is also popular in many other countries) which discussed Linux. It was in response to an article about Microsoft's new ad campaign. I'll try to dig up the magazine and type in the letter...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Linux in The Economist

Wie intereβant.
    I get the Economist (or at least my dad does). I'll have to look for it.
    2010 IBM Thinkpad 510, 4GB RAM, i5-540M, NVS 3100M

Running Ubuntu 11.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

was it this letter:
    Quote Originally Posted by economist
    Shoe circus

SIR – I am not surprised that Microsoft’s latest advertising campaign features Bill Gates needing help to buy a pair of shoes (“Postmodern wriggle”, September 13th). He is familiar with the Windows one-size-fits-all, take-it-or-leave-it brand. If a pair of Windows shoes are too tight or too loose, you are not allowed to adjust: it is forbidden by the End User License Agreement.
    I would suggest Mr Gates buy a pair of Linux shoes. They come in an amazing variety of models and you can adapt them to be used as wellies, executive moccasins, trainers or even ballet shoes. And to boot, you don’t need to reach for your credit card.
    Sebastià Pla Sanz
    Sant Cugat del Vallès, Spain
    Laters...
    Sol
    "Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere" User numbers: Ubuntu 23772 Linux 477911

Beans

Yes. I'm rather surprised that they published it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Ha, I like that letter. Unfortunately I think it will leave people scratching their heads!

The Economist should do a feature on Linux usage in business though, could get a few companies thinking about switching.

Beans
    Hidden!

it doesnt seem that unusual that linux would be mentioned in the economist. in fact, with the economy being what it is right now id be suprised if they didnt mention it. linux gets a mention in the tech sections of most magazines and newspapers every now and then.