Thread: kubuntu 810 and Vista

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

kubuntu 810 and Vista

Hi, I am trying to install vista on my hp laptop in virtualbox but all I have is recovery disks and it tell me I cant install from those disks because it is not the right computer but it is. Does anyone have any Ideas? Please let me know because I had everything working great but I installed kubuntu again so I could get a fresh install so I wiped both systems out and started over. Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro

Re: kubuntu 810 and Vista

Hi, Just wondering am I doing posting wrong, because I have not even got one repy to this message. I really need to know if I can make vista run in virtualbox on kubuntu when my vista disks are a recovery disk from hp because that is the only disks that came with my hp laptop. It tells me that I cant use the recovery disk because they dont belong to this computer. Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro

kubuntu 810 and Vista

Hi, Just wondering am I doing posting wrong, because I have not even got one reply to this message. I really need to know if I can make vista run in virtualbox on kubuntu when my vista disks are a recovery disk from hp because that is the only disks that came with my hp laptop. It tells me that I cant use the recovery disk because they dont belong to this computer. Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Threads merged.

As far as I know you need an installation disk.

You can try the tutorial on booting a vista partition.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro

Ok, thank you so much for repling, I have a copy of windows xp, do you think I should use that instead of messing with vista?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

The following might be relevant:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Operating systems

There are two types of OEM when it comes to operating systems. The first is when a pre-built computer is purchased, there is an OEM disk that comes with the system, which can not be transferred to any other system, because that disk is designed to run only with the specific system components. The second type of OEM operating system is one that can be purchased, and that can be transferred to any other system, without the dependence on the systems components. The main difference between the two is that one is only meant for that specific system, and the other can be used on any system.
    e.g. The disk is designed to only run on one pre-built DELL/HP hardware combination. The exact details of how much you can change before it complains is not disclosed by Microsoft.

Unfortunately, there is no easy way around this. It is *designed* to be tamper-proof since its part of MS's strategy against piracy. You safest bet is to contact the corporation to sold you the PC.

As for XP...it depends on what version of Vista you've got. Vista Ultimate and (I think) Business both include an XP licence.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you for that information it is very helpful. I really appreciate your reply. I am still looking for the tutorial on vista partitions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Tutorial?

First install Vista. There is one dialog where it shows the harddrives. Press the Advanced/whatever button. You can create/delete/format/etc partitions in that window. Then make a partition using half/(or whatever you need). Then install kubuntu.

Thats with a normal Vista disk. I don't have any experience with OEM disk, so I couldn't tell you how those differ.

ALWAYS Windows first, then linux.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

See the mega thread, it lists them under booting physical partitions.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    See the mega thread, it lists them under booting physical partitions.
    Hi thank you for that information, I going to reinstall vista and then kubuntu and go fron there. I tried to make vista work inside virtual box first but I could not get the grub boot disk to work. I am going to be offline awhile during the install of both systems. Thanks again to everyone that as replied.