Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenovo Ideapad S10 success stories?

Beans

Question Lenovo Ideapad S10 success stories?

Hey gang,

I'm looking at buying one of these new-fangled netbooks. The Lenovo Ideapad S10 looks pretty good, but I can't find much evidence of people installing Ubuntu on it (for better or worse).

Any of you out there running Ubuntu on your Lenovo Ideapad S10?

Does anyone have multiple Netbooks and have some comparisons to draw?

I'd love to hear your stories.

Uiberto

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Lenovo Ideapad S10 success stories?

I got my S10 yesterday and have put ubuntu onto it (from usb dvd drive).

Everything seems to have gone without a hitch except for the wireless stuff. Once everything was installed, I plugged into a wired network and ran the updates... After that completed, wireless networks showed up and I was able to turn on minor eyecandy and I was able to connect to the local unsecured wireless network.

Trouble came when I tried to connect to my WPA-secured network at home... It's odd; I can see the network, and I can join it. It prompts for password and seems to negotiate, but I never get signed an IP. When I look at the router's status, the s10 shows up in the DHCP clients table with an assigned IP, so something is going on with the local machine.

I've been troubleshooting this for about 2 hours and I've tried the secured network at work and my girlfriend's WPA wireless network but to no avail. It only likes open access points.

I haven't tried the SD port yet or the webcam, but I've seen some posts in the forums that seem promising for those.

Getting used to the keyboard has been tough, though. I had an old Vaio PCG-505tx before this that I was using when I wanted to be super-mobile, and that thing had a small keyboard, too, but this one has some keys in weird places (~ is above the 1 and the up-arrow is between teh right-shift and the ? keys)

so far, it's great, though.

Beans

Problem w/ Lan/Ethernet - Corrupted Mac on input

Just got around to install Ubuntu 8.10 (studio). Have it set up to dual boot now.

So far so good, wireless is working, compiz etc. I havent tested webcam yet.

One problem though, and that is with the lan or ethernet. I can configure and browse the internet. But for some reason I'm unable to scp files (specifically a 3 gig file) across the lan, getting error an messages:

Corrupted MAC on input

I'm hoping this is some sort of driver issue and it's not that the ethernet has gone bad.

Anyone else running into this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Problem w/ Lan/Ethernet - Corrupted Mac on input

I got my red S10e (European "Education" version) on Tuesday. Yesterday I first installed XP Home English (the netbook was delivered with German XP) and then installed Ubuntu 8.10. The dual boot is working without any problems, yay.

After using Eee PC 701 for 3 months (Ubuntu 8.04.1, tweaks, fixes, hacks, grey hair, annoyance, etc), S10e impressed me! Ubuntu 8.10 is working perfectly without even minor problems. All the following are working out of the box. I have not yet installed any updates, Ubuntu is offering 200 MB of them.
    -Cam is working (tested with Cheese)
    -SD reader is working (SDHC support, tested with A-data 16GB class 6 SDHC card)
    -Wifi is working with WEP (I haven't tested LAN)
    -audio is working (both speakers and audio out (headphones))
    -Bluetooth is working (there's a built-in Bluetooth and I succesfully connected the netbook with my Nokia 6300 phone)
    -brightness adjusting with FN keys (without OSD)
    -volume adjusting with FN keys (with OSD)

I have not tested the following:
    -Built-in mic
    -LAN

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'd like to hear about power management: does it suspend, hibernate and wake up correctly? How long it runs on battery?

Does the mic work out of the box, somewhere i read it doesn't.

Beans
    Distro

My wife just let me setup ubuntu on my s10 which I can officially use on xmas. I have the 1gb ram, 160gb version...

First off, I installed ubuntu through the pen drive install feature from the live cd. I did NOT have to plug into the wired ethernet connection. I just enabled the restricted drivers and everything worked perfectly. Kinda sucks I have to use restricted drivers, but it works- signal is MUCH better than my macbook pro. I have no clue why the other guys in this thread needed to wire up.

I tried to suspend... It worked fine with the power connected, couldn't get it to suspend from battery (power settings were correct). I only had 2 min to play with it, but I'm sure it's easy to get going. When it did suspend it came out fine and didn't crash, so it looks pretty stable.

Compiz effects worked from the start and everything was very responsive. The only issue was the touchpad sensitivity REALLY sucks. It's because the touchpad is not a perfect square, but the synaptics driver thinks it is. Apparently it can be fixed with a synaptics driver patch.

I'm eager to see if my 1680x1050 monitor will work well. But that'll have to wait till xmas. The screen on this thing does look really nice, very deep rich colors and good contrast. It should do well for light web development, music and all my emulators.

I'm gonna call Lenovo tomorrow to see if I can get a refund on the worthless XP license.

-bt
    Lenovo s10 Netbook: Jaunty
    Desktop: Jaunty amd64

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by wkoell View Post
    I'd like to hear about power management: does it suspend, hibernate and wake up correctly? How long it runs on battery?

Does the mic work out of the box, somewhere i read it doesn't.
    I tried suspend and hibernate after I'd installed all the updates Ubuntu was offering (about 200 MB). I tested 'em with power cord plugged in. Quick results: both work. Although when hibernating an error message is displayed.. but laptop wakes up without any problems.

I haven't had the time to test the battery life because I have an European version with 6 cell battery. It looks like it could be 5+ hours but I cannot be sure because I haven't tested properly.

I haven't tested the built-in mic but I also have read that it's a problem with 8.10 + S10. I can test it in the near future.

Beans
    Distro

Just to let you know, I've written Windows XP & Ubuntu 8.10 dual boot instructions in English in my blog.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BIGtrouble77 View Post
    I'm gonna call Lenovo tomorrow to see if I can get a refund on the worthless XP license.

-bt
    Thanks for the info. Can you update us on the XP License refund?

Beans

If anyone would like to troubleshoot wifi issues with me, please see my detailed thread here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1010751

Also, I recently installed the new Alpha 2 and attempted to pull 750MB file over the LAN with wired ethernet and experienced connection failures using Samba, and HTTP.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast