Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Lenovo Ideapad S10 success stories?

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Lenovo Ideapad S10e Ver 4068-4AG success story!!

As a beginner, you did very well so far, but you will definitely need to read up the basics of managing a Ubuntu system. As you said, it is totally different to XP.

Quote Originally Posted by NuahHuan View Post
    The only problem I have is with the internal microphone - it works as is testiment to the feedback squeal I get with the controls up high - but it will not work with sound recorder and it refuses with SKYPE. I have tried messing with the various input volume settings etc but no success!!
    IIRC, this problem is due to the old Alsa version (1.0.18) used in Ubuntu 9.04. Skype works fine on my S10e, but I am using self-compiled kernels (2.6.29.1 & 2.6.30) which come with newer Alsa drivers (Alsa = Advanced Linux Sound Architecture). Sound quality over the internal microphone is acceptable but not great.

My best advice for the moment is to use a headset until you have sorted out the internal microphone issues.

I have read some of the posts re how to fix the microphone problem which appears to be something others have experienced - but to be honest - I don't understand how to implement the proposed solutions
    Have you read the Alsa Upgrade Script thread? Yes, it's a rather lengthy thread but I am afraid you will need to read the first post from cover to cover ;)
    It basically involves downloading the AlsaUpgrade script and executing it. Extract the file to your home folder, open a terminal and make it executable:
    chmod +x name-of-the-extracted-file
    Then run it:
    sudo ./name-of-the-extracted-file
    If you do run into problems, post your questions to that thread since it is more likely to be heard by people who can answer your questions.

I have also downloaded the UBUNTU studio .iso have extracted it but for the life of me have not a clue how to install it. Read about synaptic package manager - sorry - it uses a different logic to what I am used to with Windows XP where I could have sorted the installation in seconds.
    You don't need Ubuntu Studio to make Skype work. It is a distribution of its own such as Xubuntu, Kubuntu etc., and is aimed towards musicians, DJs.
    Distributions such as Ubuntu provide Linux software in so-called packages. Use Synaptic package manager to install/remove/update software:
    System | Administration | Synaptic Package Manager

Good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Problem w/ Lan/Ethernet - Corrupted Mac on input

I have also seen this while using SSH. This was, however, only with the wired connection. Not had any problems with the wireless.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Lenovo Ideapad S10 success stories?

Using UNR based on Jaunty, and have not experienced any significant problems. Most issues I have experienced have been due to insufficient understanding of the capabilities of the hardware.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have also downloaded the UBUNTU studio .iso have extracted it but for the life of me have not a clue how to install it. Read about synaptic package manager - sorry - it uses a different logic to what I am used to with Windows XP where I could have sorted the installation in seconds.
    You don't need to download stuff off the net and then install it. This package is in the repositories for Ubuntu. Think of them as trusted libraries of software.

To install it, run Synaptic Package manager as you did before, put ubuntustudio in the quick search box and scroll down to ubuntustudio-desktop. Put a check in the box next to it and then click the big green apply button at the top.

This will automatically keep the ubuntu studio up to date as well as install it easily.

As noted earlier, you don't need this package to run skype. I assume you want it for something else.
    Using Ubuntu since Warty Warthog (4.10)
    32 bit 5.04>5.10>6.06>6.10>7.04>7.10>8.04>8.10>9.04>9.10
    64 bit 9.10 upgraded to 10.04>10.10>11.04>11.10>12.04>14.04

Beans
    Distro

I get about 4 hours of battery, more like 4.5 to 5 with the backlight off, and the CPU at half speed.

Beans

Hi everyone
    I recently installed UBUNTU on my S9 Ideapad but I am getting a lot of problems with the internal mic. I am new using this kind of system. I have expended several hours trying to figure it out but I haven’t been able to. I tried most of the sugestions in this forum but still nothing
    Does anyone have an advice?

Beans

1st post. I thought I would post here.

Just setup Ubuntu NBR on my S10.. I had actually done it months ago, but bricked it - Well as far as i was concerned it was bricked... Im very much a Linux noob.

I almost bricked again today.. It seem whenever I play with gparted, i will go to reset, and the S10 doesnt boot??? Anyway.

Pretty much everything works out of the box with Ubuntu NBR. I love the layout of NBR.

I just now have to learn -
    some sudo commands
    how to install software with the various tools/update utilities
    and almost everything else.

Will be asking a few questions in the next few weeks im sure. But wanting a new hobbu, and i think Linux is going to be it.

Beans

I installed ubuntu 11.10 from a USB thumb drive, with a nearly perfect install.

However I can find no solution for fixing the audio.

When I type in terminal aplay -l i get
    aplay: device_list240: no soundcards found...

Any help here?

On another thread I found the lenovo ideapad is supposed to use the conextant 5051 drivers.

Id really like to get this last thing fixed

Thanks

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678