Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenovo Ideapad S10 success stories?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: Lenovo Ideapad S10 success stories?

I just got my S10 with 160GB disk etc. I have installed ubuntu 8.10 in dualboot with xp, and it works perfectly. I think this is the smoothest experience I've had installing linux on a laptop. Webcam, wireless, monitor, sound, suspend, everything works like they should. Haven't tried hibernation, though. Another thing worth mentioning is the mobile broadband modem I have, which also works out of the box. Just choose the right network and go (the modem has pin code disabled, though). Funny thing is that I can't get the modem to work in XP, as the ****** application it installs won't accept lower resolutions than 800x600. So, pwnd wndzzz.

Only thing, as someone also mentioned, is the sound, which is a bit low? Funny, but I haven't tried with headphones yet.

Beans

Re: Lenovo Ideapad S10 success stories?

larseko, pulseaudio is (as usual) the problem. It caps ALSA at 50% If you killall pulseaudio then run alsamixer, you can bump the volume up to audible levels. I'm trying to work out my wifi issues; if you could post the output from a few commands, I would be very grateful.

lspci -nn | grep Broadcom

and

lshw -C Network

I'm wondering if Lenovo switched wifi cards.

Thank you!
    Last edited by jron; December 25th, 2008 at 09:03 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by //yardo View Post
    Thanks for the info. Can you update us on the XP License refund?
    I would like to know about that too. I never thought to ask for a refund.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by jron View Post
    larseko, pulseaudio is (as usual) the problem. It caps ALSA at 50% If you killall pulseaudio then run alsamixer, you can bump the volume up to audible levels. I'm trying to work out my wifi issues; if you could post the output from a few commands, I would be very grateful.

lspci -nn | grep Broadcom

and

lshw -C Network

I'm wondering if Lenovo switched wifi cards.

Thank you!
    Thanks, that seems to have sorted out the sound issues, but I didn't find the levels was at 50% or lower, they were almost to the max. As for the other info, I'm happy to provide it:

Code:
    larsekol@lentop:~$ lspci -nn |grep Broadcom
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5906M Fast Ethernet PCI Express [14e4:1713] (rev 02)
    05:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g [14e4:4315] (rev 01)
    larsekol@lentop:~$ 
    larsekol@lentop:~$ lshw -C Network
    WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
      *-network               
           description: Ethernet interface
           product: NetLink BCM5906M Fast Ethernet PCI Express
           vendor: Broadcom Corporation
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
           logical name: eth0
           version: 02
           serial: 00:23:8b:27:0b:37
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical
           configuration: broadcast=yes driver=tg3 driverversion=3.94 latency=0 module=tg3 multicast=yes
      *-network
           description: Wireless interface
           product: BCM4312 802.11b/g
           vendor: Broadcom Corporation
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:05:00.0
           logical name: eth1
           version: 01
           serial: 00:21:00:85:68:cd
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
           configuration: broadcast=yes driver=wl ip=192.168.2.187 latency=0 module=wl multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11
      *-network DISABLED
           description: Ethernet interface
           physical id: 2
           logical name: pan0
           serial: 8e:90:38:4e:16:55
           capabilities: ethernet physical
           configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bridge driverversion=2.3 firmware=N/A multicast=yes
    larsekol@lentop:~$
    Hope that helps

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by //yardo View Post
    Thanks for the info. Can you update us on the XP License refund?
    Lenovo was pretty unprofessional about my request. The guy I talked to said that these machines don't have real windows licenses so they couldn't refund anything. After I explained what an oem license was he hung up on me.

I emailed sales support, but they gave me the run around. They also didn't want to talk about the horrible phone service I got. Honestly, I'd stay away from them. There are too many other companies that will give much better support. This was just pathetic. I think I was pretty nice considering the lack of professionalism on their end.

With that said, the only reason they would not consider refunding winxp was because I purchased through Circuit City and would have to request a refund from them. The only reason I did not go through Lenovo directly was because they were not offering the higher spec'd model at the time. Anyway, if you purchased through them you may have some success.

Ubuntu does work perfectly on this machine. I've had no issues except the unacceptably small right shift key. 1680x1050 external monitor was too sluggish for me, 1280x1024 was ok. 720p HD movies from my Vado are too much, unfortunately- videos are a slideshow. h.264 encoded dvd's work great. All the emulators I setup worked beautifully. Very cool little gaming/multimedia machine.

-bt
    Last edited by BIGtrouble77; December 30th, 2008 at 06:25 PM.
    Lenovo s10 Netbook: Jaunty
    Desktop: Jaunty amd64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

That doesn't sound promising Trouble, but then, I did not have high expectations. Thank you for the update regardless.

I received my S10 shipped to my office today. There were a few squeeeees of joy from a normally sober chica.

Ubuntu 8.10 is ready for install on a USB stick at home. I can't wait.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I had a little trouble installing Intrepid 8.10. I used the System > Administration > Create a USB startup disk option. However, I tried the alternate install CD-Rom as a base. The install process hung several times after formatting the s10's HDD.

I downloaded the live CD instead and used that to great effect, but please note, do not use the alternate install CD to create your USB boot disc.

Also, out of curiosity, I connected an USB Sony CD writer/ player before booting the s10. I held the Fn button and pressed F11/F12 and was pleasantly surprised to find the boot selection included the Sony USB CD drive listed by name. I could have booted from a CD.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jron View Post
    I'm trying to work out my wifi issues
    I had problems on 8.10 with WIFI and Leap which sounds a little similar (by symptoms). Try this: right-click on the network icon and create/edit your settings (ssid/passcode). Worked for me.
    stw

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Hi,

I got everything except my battery charge meter running. It shows me 0% charge all the time...
    What could be causing this?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just to stop other people from trying their luck, you will most likely NEVER get a refund for a copy of XP that comes with a netbook. Microsoft licenses these intalls under their ULCPC license and it costs the manufacturers almost nothing. It also puts restrictions on the computers sold with the software such as: no great then 1gig of RAM, CPU no faster then X, etc...

That said, I ordered my S10 a few days ago, and I just look at the XP license as something that will increase the value of the laptop when I sell it a few years from now. ( bought the cheapest one, a 500gig drive, and 2gigs of ram )

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast