Thread: How do I grant access to a specific directory to a specific IP address?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

How do I grant access to a specific directory to a specific IP address?

My girlfriend and I wish to share our music folders with one another. We live in different towns, so we would need to do this over the internet. How can I grant her IP access to my music folder without granting access to the rest of the computer and without leaving it open to other IPs?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How do I grant access to a specific directory to a specific IP address?

Quote Originally Posted by guitarplaya85 View Post
    My girlfriend and I wish to share our music folders with one another. We live in different towns, so we would need to do this over the internet. How can I grant her IP access to my music folder without granting access to the rest of the computer and without leaving it open to other IPs?
    I am unaware of a way to do this. However, it should be trivial to grant your GF an account on your local machine, and give her permission to access the folder. You could even specify read only or read-write. Then you would have to determine the best way to connect...remote desktop perhaps?
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeebuntu user!
    Registered Linux User #386750

chown -R us base

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

VPN might keep other computers at bay, but I'm not sure about limiting access. Dunno if SSHFS would work via VPN, or if it could limit access.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

a vpn is defn the way to go. your folder sharing would not likely work over the internet, though it you could you could use a firewall to restrict traffic incomming on your sharing protocol port to the remote IP.

a vpn is a much better plan. vpns extend your local network physically so your remote pc acts as thought it were in the next room (except much slower). it's also encrypted so you don't have to worry about passing media files through devices that are monitoring for specific file hashes. or you could set up SSH and use scp to transfer files. thats pretty easy.

good luck,
    Franklin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Since it is the folders you want to share, suppose you ran a tiny FTP server on your machine, gave your GF an id/password and limit access to that folder, it might work out. For example, gFTP

SSHFS is also a nice idea.

BTW, is limitation to an IP address really viable ? I mean, what if your GF is on Wireless and connects/disconnects at various places ? Or, what if the GF's laptop is rebooted and static IP is not applied ?
    Debugging tip:
    When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
    --- Sherlock Holmes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks all! Completely noob question I guess. I ended up setting up a small FTP.