Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it worth it to upgrade to 8.10 Intrepid Ibex just now?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Is it worth it to upgrade to 8.10 Intrepid Ibex just now?

Quote Originally Posted by mkvnmtr View Post
    You should only use 8.10 beta if you wish to help with the problems of putting together a new version. Then only if you don't depend on that OS. It is beta. Remember if you didn't buy support from Canonical the don't owe us support. As users of Ubuntu we support ourselves. If you have a problem bring it up in a thread of these support forums. There are some very good people that can help you get almost anything working.
    +1

The beta is for Testing and is not yet "ready" for prime time. 8.10 is due out soon and I would advise you update at that time.

Take care, just because it works for some does not mean it will work for you and there are some that have had problems with upgrading.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    +1

The beta is for Testing and is not yet "ready" for prime time. 8.10 is due out soon and I would advise you update at that time.

Take care, just because it works for some does not mean it will work for you and there are some that have had problems with upgrading.
    I'll give it a shot tomorrow... I figured the only thing that I have to save is my .conkyrc file and a bunch of scripts I wrote. Everything else is on my NTFS partition that I share with Vista.

If it does not come out ok, I just install 8.04 again until 8.10 gets released.

Thanks for sharing your opinion folks.

EDIT: Even better idea, I'll boot a 8.10 live, install partimage, create partition images for my root and home partitions, so it's easy to roll back.
    Last edited by milasch; October 10th, 2008 at 01:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've been running 8.10b on a spare machine pretty much since it was released. It's working well for the most part, but not quite as well as 8.04 - yet.

I've had a couple problems with the daily updates. They've started coming up as 'partial distribution upgrades' and stop functioning during the cleanup phase. After waiting for a few hours I just restart the machine. First problem I had was with compiz.real - I had to turn off desktop effects. Then just this morning after another update (and similar stoppage on the update) I lost my keyboard and mouse input. I'm still new to linux, and I had no idea how to fix that. Based on that fact and that this is a spare machine I just decided to reload and try these updates from scratch.

I'll repeat what others have said: if it's a spare machine or a multi-boot machine, go ahead and play with it, but you can't depend on it like you can previous releases - again, yet.
    Aperture Science: We do what we must, because we can!

Beans

I've had a couple problems with the daily updates. They've started coming up as 'partial distribution upgrades' and stop functioning during the cleanup phase.
    I've been playing with Intrepid on my spare disk and this is annoying. An update for the update-manager was released today, so maybe it's fixed. When I try to do the partial update, Intrepid tries to sneak a bunch of useless packages that I've removed back on my system like compiz, CUPS, Pulseaudio, input&video drivers that I don't use, etc. (basically anything that ubuntu-desktop depends on).

BTW, anyone looking for a recent version of VLC packaged for Hardy should check https://launchpad.net/~c-korn/+archive
    Last edited by Temüjin; October 10th, 2008 at 08:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I have not tested the theory, but you could consider downloading the .deb package from the intrepid repos, and installing it with "dpkg -i package.deb" on your hardy box...

As long as there aren't any/many dependencies, it should work OK. I have done that with other programs.

If there are dependencies, sometimes you can get it working by telling dpkg to ignore them. although I don't remember the exact command line option for that...

Travis

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Well I've been using Ibex for some time and it was great and now there is a horrible bug or feature depending on your point of view. In earlier Ubuntu releases, the Alphas worked very well and there was relatively few issues, but as off late it seems waiting is the best option.

The web site promotes downloading the Beta now, so you would assume system critical bugs where in the main channel. At this point, I'm unable to use my keyboard and mouse, due to what I ssume is a trackpad fix. IMHO keyboards and mice are more important, but I'm not sure of the payload distribution on the latest bug.

Still waiting for the fix to come.
    - ubuntu #23718 | gnu/linux #231826
    - x58/ich10r | i7-950 | 6@2GB 1600 3x channel | geforce gt640 2GB | 24" 16:9 / 19" 5:4 | 2@120GB ssd / 500GB / 1TB / dvd+-rw sata ahci | 600W | Mesh Case
    - fedora????

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Having the same problem too. I get the 'partial upgrade', it hangs at the end of 'cleaning up' and then after hitting the 'restart' icon I have no touchpad or keyboard functions.

Have gone through the install then update of the beta twice now today and has happened twice.
    Packard Bell Imedia S1800: Ubuntu 13.04 / Sony VGN-N31S: Lubuntu 13.04
    Blog / Twitter / G+

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Going through a second re-install and running into update dependacy issues.

gnome-power and gnome-panel

trying with defualt configuration
    Last edited by carolinason; October 11th, 2008 at 05:04 AM.
    - x58/ich10r | i7-950 | 6@2GB 1600 3x channel | geforce gt640 2GB | 24" 16:9 / 19" 5:4 | 2@120GB ssd / 500GB / 1TB / dvd+-rw sata ahci | 600W | Mesh Case
    - fedora????

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

without configuring the desktop I had no issues updating ibex beta. i lost my mouse and keyboard during the update until the update had finished, but i have a kvm and moved to this machine for a bit.

it appears that the earlier issue had to do with the power applet in the gnome panel. this is not a laptop however. and why bluetooth???? i don't have bluetooth.
    - fedora????

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12