Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: Hauppauge HVR-2250 With Mythbuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Hauppauge HVR-2250 With Mythbuntu

Quote Originally Posted by LowSky View Post
    Hello Mythbuntu users.

It pains me to tell you all but I have moved on to Arch Linux. I might be back if Arch doesn't annoy me. And oh it has! In the mean time it delights me to tell you that the 3.0 Kernel shipped with Arch seems to work pretty well with the HVR-2250. My only issue was learning my way around Modules.

I want to give credit to Sketchy's post: #420 I'm pretty sure this works

No one should need to upload any kernel drivers using 11.04+, only the firmware is needed.

I created a link on my server to host all of the firmware versions made a while back and will host as long as possible. I may move them to a public dropbox location later. I will update if needed.

Grab the firmware.
    Code:
    wget -c http://www.robotbeard.com/hvr-2250/HVR-2250_firmware.zip
    Unzip the files
    Code:
    unzip HVR-2250_firmware.zip
    copy the files to the /lib/firmware folder
    Code:
    sudo cp *fw /lib/firmware
    Now check if the card can be located and what value the system has given it
    Code:
    dmesg | grep saa7164
    on the 3rd or 4th line you should see what you are looking for it will look like this
    Code:
    [card=8,autodetected]
    What this says is my HVR-2250 was detected at card 8, you may (probably will) get a diferent number.

Now we need to enter this card number into modprobe.d/options.conf file (I like to use gedit)
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/options.conf
    place this line of code in the file
    Code:
    options saa7164 card=x
    *x = your card's number*

Reboot and check mythtv backend to see if it is listed correctly.
    Lowsky

FYI - I had the HVR2250 working in Mythbuntu 10.04 and I've now got it working in Mythbuntu 11.10. But I had to do something slightly different than your instructions.

Using the dmesg | grep saa7164 command, my card had [card=0,autodetected]. Creating the options file with options saa7164 card=0 didn't work, so I checked what I had it set to in Mythbuntu 10.04, which was card=4.

Anyway in summary, these instructions do work for Mythbuntu 11.10.

Just a quick question here and if I need to start a new thread please let me know. I got my card working with Lowsky's how to, so many thanks to you LowSky. The thing that I'm trying to figure out now is what to do after a channel scan.
    I currently have comcast limited basic (which is all I really want) I go into scan channels and select cable high qam 256 and tell it to scan. It scans through just fine. The only thing that it doesn't do is take 30 mins like my friends did with the same setup. It reaches about 71% and calls it done after scanning 134 channels at that point and finds a bunch of channels. The only thing it doesn't do is map them correctly. Do I need to go through it after the fact and scan through the channels and update the call signs and everything else after the fact? I saw some posts from people using the scte65scan tool. I downloaded it but noticed that all of the guides were for using it with a device called a HDHomeRun which I don't have and don't plan on purchasing. When the scan completes it also doesn't pull the call signs for any of the stations either. So if this just means that I need to go through after the scan completes and update each channel by hand I'll do it but I am hoping that there might be an easier method. BTW my backend is just that a backend its running on Ubuntu server 11.10. Thank you in advance for your help with this.
    webmaster www.thefuzz4.net
    Ubuntu Saucy on every computer in my house

Beans

doesn't schedules direct do the mapping?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFuzz4 View Post
    Just a quick question here and if I need to start a new thread please let me know. I got my card working with Lowsky's how to, so many thanks to you LowSky. The thing that I'm trying to figure out now is what to do after a channel scan.
    I currently have comcast limited basic (which is all I really want) I go into scan channels and select cable high qam 256 and tell it to scan. It scans through just fine. The only thing that it doesn't do is take 30 mins like my friends did with the same setup. It reaches about 71% and calls it done after scanning 134 channels at that point and finds a bunch of channels. The only thing it doesn't do is map them correctly. Do I need to go through it after the fact and scan through the channels and update the call signs and everything else after the fact? I saw some posts from people using the scte65scan tool. I downloaded it but noticed that all of the guides were for using it with a device called a HDHomeRun which I don't have and don't plan on purchasing. When the scan completes it also doesn't pull the call signs for any of the stations either. So if this just means that I need to go through after the scan completes and update each channel by hand I'll do it but I am hoping that there might be an easier method. BTW my backend is just that a backend its running on Ubuntu server 11.10. Thank you in advance for your help with this.
    When I ran the scan, I got tons of channels that are scrambled. You just have to scroll through the list and find any channels to can recognize. Most of mine were towards the end. They would usually have the station name and channel number along with the long hdtv number.

I see yours didn't finish, so maybe it didn't reach the end. Mine took probably a half an hour as well. How long did yours take?

I can't look this up on my system as I don't have my mythbuntu setup at the moment. Windows 8 pre-beta wiped all my hard drives when it updated the other day. I just haven't got around to reinstaling yet.

When I had issues, I had to setup Kaffeine to make sure the card was working properly. I ended up using mythbuntu 10.04.3 as 11.10 wouldn't work for me. I see others have had success lately so maybe update fixed things. But Kaffeine was easy setup and worked great for me to at least let me know my tv card was configured properly and working.

Good luck
    -=Mark=-
    GigaByte Z68MA-D2H-B3 (Rev. 1.0) F9 * i3-2100T * 8GB (2 x 4GB Ripjaws) * Powercolor HD 5670 * Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit

I think that I've got this working now but I am not certain. I was able to find a better howto for the scte65scan tool here Just if you don't have a HDHomeRun just ignore any reference to it. The scantool is actually picking up my locals and mapping them to the right number. So right now I've got it running generating the sql that I'll use to import it into the mythconverg database. I'll keep you all posted on how this works. Thanks.
    webmaster www.thefuzz4.net
    Ubuntu Saucy on every computer in my house

Beans

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1567490

latest information on installing the 2250. posting it here for convenience. It mostly works with 11.10 with some minor issues on the output stream that might interfere with transcoding and viewing outside of mythtv, and another minor issue with the eit (channel scan) on the digital side hanging the backend if the analog is accessed simultaneously. Apparently the mutually exclusive functionality configuration for dig vs analog is not quite working properly when eit is activated, but I posted how to work around it.

Beans

Has anyone been able to fix the I2C error problem? Disabling EIT scanning on one of the tuners seems to lessen how often it happens but I still have to reset my machine about every 3-4 days and end up missing some of my scheduled recordings.

Also, is the driver that is included with Mythbuntu 12.04 the latest version? I'm not really sure how to tell...

Beans

I just upgraded to 12.04 and now I get this at the end of dmesg | grep saa

Code:
    saa7164_downloadimage() Image downloaded, booting...
    saa7164_dl_wait_clr() timeout (no d/l clr)
    Haven't seen anybody else having this issue. Now I don't get a /dev/video*. I guess it doesn't like the firmware for some reason.

The kernel version is 3.2.0-26-generic.

Anybody got any ideas how to fix this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

This issue has cropped up on me recently.

First off, I'm on Mythbuntu-Repos, current version:
    MythTV Version : v0.25.2-8-g3256849
    MythTV Branch : fixes/0.25
    Network Protocol : 72
    Library API : 0.25.20120506-1
    QT Version : 4.8.1

The hardware in question is a Hauppauge-2250 card, DVB input, tuner #2. I have configured my backend to allow 2 recordings per digital tuner, so I'll refer to tuner 2.1 and tuner 2.2.

My provider (So Cal Time Warner) remapped their digital channels recently, which caused me to have to rescan for new channels. If I perform a scan using tuner #1, I can find all the new channels with no problem.

If I scan with tuner 2.2, I can find new channels no problem.

If I scan with tuner 2.1 - nothing.

If I attempt to record using tuner 1, no problem.

If I attempt to record on tuner 2.2 (Encoder 20 currently) - MythTV defaults to using tuner 2.1 (Encoder 19). Thus, I cannot seem to force MythTV to use tuner 2.2 (Encoder 20), the side of that tuner that WAS able to scan for channels.

If I attempt (or am forced to) record on tuner 2.1 (Encoder 19), I get nothing. Mythweb shows a "B" in the value of filesize under "Recorded Programs". The Mythweb "Backend Logs" page shows the following:
    row ↓ id host application pid tid thread filename line function msgtime level message 0 732472 Mythbox mythbackend 7938 8556 SignalMonitor dvbchannel.cpp 1022 GetSignalStrength 2012-07-28 07:22:05 3 DVBChan(19:/dev/dvb/adapter2/frontend0): Getting Frontend signal strength failed. eno: Invalid argument (22)repeated numerous (>25) times.

mythbackend.log is a little more thorough:
    Jul 28 07:40:13 Mythbox mythbackend[7938]: E SignalMonitor dvbchannel.cpp:1022 (GetSignalStrength) DVBChan(19:/dev/dvb/adapter2/frontend0): Getting Frontend signal strength failed.#012#011#011#011eno: Invalid argument (22)
    Jul 28 07:41:14 mythbackend[7938]: last message repeated 880 times

I'm on version 3.2.0-27-generic of the kernel. I have not installed a custom driver for the HVR-2250, I default to what's delivered with the kernel.

Not a killer - I can use tuner 1 to record digital. But with the Olympics on, my wife would like those in HD, while my kids still want their Sesame St, so there's some prioritizing going on right now. And I'd like to figure this out and fix it.

Anyone got any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by johnlatz View Post
    This issue has cropped up on me recently.

First off, I'm on Mythbuntu-Repos, current version:
    MythTV Version : v0.25.2-8-g3256849
    MythTV Branch : fixes/0.25
    Network Protocol : 72
    Library API : 0.25.20120506-1
    QT Version : 4.8.1

The hardware in question is a Hauppauge-2250 card, DVB input, tuner #2. I have configured my backend to allow 2 recordings per digital tuner, so I'll refer to tuner 2.1 and tuner 2.2.

My provider (So Cal Time Warner) remapped their digital channels recently, which caused me to have to rescan for new channels. If I perform a scan using tuner #1, I can find all the new channels with no problem.

If I scan with tuner 2.2, I can find new channels no problem.

If I scan with tuner 2.1 - nothing.

If I attempt to record using tuner 1, no problem.

If I attempt to record on tuner 2.2 (Encoder 20 currently) - MythTV defaults to using tuner 2.1 (Encoder 19). Thus, I cannot seem to force MythTV to use tuner 2.2 (Encoder 20), the side of that tuner that WAS able to scan for channels.

If I attempt (or am forced to) record on tuner 2.1 (Encoder 19), I get nothing. Mythweb shows a "B" in the value of filesize under "Recorded Programs". The Mythweb "Backend Logs" page shows the following:
    row ↓ id host application pid tid thread filename line function msgtime level message 0 732472 Mythbox mythbackend 7938 8556 SignalMonitor dvbchannel.cpp 1022 GetSignalStrength 2012-07-28 07:22:05 3 DVBChan(19:/dev/dvb/adapter2/frontend0): Getting Frontend signal strength failed. eno: Invalid argument (22)repeated numerous (>25) times.

mythbackend.log is a little more thorough:
    Jul 28 07:40:13 Mythbox mythbackend[7938]: E SignalMonitor dvbchannel.cpp:1022 (GetSignalStrength) DVBChan(19:/dev/dvb/adapter2/frontend0): Getting Frontend signal strength failed.#012#011#011#011eno: Invalid argument (22)
    Jul 28 07:41:14 mythbackend[7938]: last message repeated 880 times

I'm on version 3.2.0-27-generic of the kernel. I have not installed a custom driver for the HVR-2250, I default to what's delivered with the kernel.

Not a killer - I can use tuner 1 to record digital. But with the Olympics on, my wife would like those in HD, while my kids still want their Sesame St, so there's some prioritizing going on right now. And I'd like to figure this out and fix it.

Anyone got any ideas?
    Sounds like you've got something setup wrong. You should only need to scan once per video source, so since both sides of the card should be using the same video source, you should only need to scan once.

In mythtv-setup, can you provide a screenshot of step 2 (capture cards)? I'd like to know how many cards are listed there and what they say.
    *Don't PM me directly for support, open a new thread
    *Looking for a MythTV quick start guide?

Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast