Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Hauppauge HVR-2250 With Mythbuntu

Beans

Re: Hauppauge HVR-2250 With Mythbuntu

Quote Originally Posted by nhtrader View Post
    I forgot to say that I have only basic cable $17/mo. So again, I get SD analog, SD digital, and HD for local programming. Nothing special.

And if I were to use OTA, this would use ATSC which is now a digital signal. My tuner can use QAM or ATSC only. My tuner doesn't have analog anymore. I got rid of those b/c they are obsolete where I live: NH,USA.
    I just got off chat with my local cable provider (surewest kc) and apparently they do not broadcast all channels in digital. They still have analog broadcast so "retirement homes" can still easily access television. Sounds fair.

Who do you have for a provider? I'm chatting with Time Warner now (who also happen to have more HD...).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nhtrader View Post
    FYI, I have the single tuner version HVR-1250 and use comcast cable.
    Comcast Basic Cable Service.

BTW, Comcast started sending HD content two years ago, but they never acknowledged it when I called customer service. I just experimented with my new LCD TV and did a channel scan and found them. No thanks to customer service.

So you should scan your channels using your TV and if you don't have a new digital TV then go to a friend's house who uses the same cable company and has the same cable package and run a new scan. The scan will show if there are any digital channels. This way you know for sure.

Of course you could just set up Mythbuntu like I did two weeks ago and play around with it. Just scan for channels and see what comes of it.

And if you're nervous about installing mythbuntu. Don't worry. Here's a simple idea for you. Simply switch between two HDDs. I have two HDDs installed in my desktop. And if I want windows I plug in the power connector to the windows HDD. And if I want mythbuntu, I plugin in the myth HDD and unplug the connector from the windows HDD. I just leave the side panel off of my desktop for now as I play around with this. So when the computer is off I simply swap the power connector from one HDD to the other as needed. This way I don't have to get involved with dual booting and possibly corrupting/erasing my windows stuff. This is fool-proof.

If you don't have a spare HDD, a new one is only $40-$100 depending on the size. I'm using a 750Gb HDD b/c it was an old backup spare. When I get this figured out, I'll probably install a 2Tb HDD which is only $100.

Beans

I have plenty of unencrypted QAM channels that I should be able to tune in with Myth and the HVR-2250.

I'm able to get my entire analog lineup plus all QAM channels with BeyondTV in Windows so I know what's available and possible.

Problem is a lot of channels are exclusively sent in analog. Losing Comedy Central (Stewart and Colbert) being the worst case off the top of my head.

I could just buy another PCI dual analog tuner that is supported by Ubuntu and use two cards. Would this be a cheap and viable solution?

I'm going to research which tuner would be compatible with Linux and is cheap. (After Ubuntu is done installing on my HTPC and seeing how Myth performs with the 2250)

MythTV should be able to handle an HVR-2250 and some other cheap analog PCI card, or is there some conflict there?

Beans

Hi,

I am running Mythbuntu 10.04 with a single 2250 and using EIT. After installation I was receiving the saa7164_api_i2c_read() errors described earlier in this thread. These only showed up So, I grabbed the latest stable drivers and proceeded to compile and install this driver. It seemed like it went away until last night when these errors showed up:

[ 8803.190066] Event timed out
    [ 8803.190077] saa7164_api_i2c_read() error, ret(1) = 0x32
    [ 8803.190084] s5h1411_readreg: readreg error (ret == -5)
    [ 8805.040130] Event timed out
    [ 8805.040141] saa7164_api_i2c_read() error, ret(1) = 0x32
    [ 8805.040148] s5h1411_readreg: readreg error (ret == -5)
    [ 8812.381727] Event timed out
    [ 8812.381738] saa7164_api_transition_port() error, ret = 0x32
    [ 8812.381745] saa7164_dvb_pause_tsport() pause transition failed, ret = 0x32
    [ 8813.190061] Event timed out [ [ 8813.190073] saa7164_api_i2c_write() error, ret(1) = 0x32
    [ 8813.190081] s5h1411_writereg: writereg error 0x19 0xf7 0x0000, ret == -5)

Any ideas? I am planning on turning off EIT to see if that would help, but other than that I am at a loss.

Thanks,
    Zac

Edit: Also please let me know if this should be a different thread.
    Last edited by HarrisonFan; February 28th, 2011 at 09:29 PM.

Beans

AAAARGH!!!!

Ok, is there someplace *else* we can go to download 2250 firmware than www.steventoth.net ? It would appear not to be running a functioning webserver at present.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mrz80 View Post
    AAAARGH!!!!

Ok, is there someplace *else* we can go to download 2250 firmware than www.steventoth.net ? It would appear not to be running a functioning webserver at present.
    Wooop. Never mind. It looks as though it's up now. I'm just an impatient old git is all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

AAAARGH!!!!

Wooop. Never mind. It looks as though it's up now. I'm just an impatient old git is all.
    I decided to host the firmware on my webserver just in case this happens again

http://www.robotbeard.com/hvr-2250/

The files are in a different order, but are all there.
    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LowSky View Post
    I decided to host the firmware on my webserver just in case this happens again

http://www.robotbeard.com/hvr-2250/

The files are in a different order, but are all there.
    LowSky, I'm trying to get this card working and have been sifting through these different posts all night... Do you mind posting the steps needed to install the 2250 using the firmware that you are now hosting?

As the ~stoth files seem to be down.

Thank you! Kat

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi Kat

Here is the the short version as 10.10 has driver support, and just needs the firmware installed.

download this file
    http://www.robotbeard.com/hvr-2250/H...0_firmware.zip

unzip the file
    then copy the .fw files to /lib/firmware (you need sudo access to nautilus)

or here is how by command line

Code:
    wget -c http://www.robotbeard.com/hvr-2250/HVR-2250_firmware.zip
    unzip HVR-2250_firmware.zip
    sudo cp *fw /lib/firmware
    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.

Beans

Thank you for that. How do I know if it's working? lol.

I've added the card (both) in the backend. However, I can't get any channels to come in when I scan.

What am I doing wrong?

I had this working with an HVR-1600 fine. Just wanted to get the HD stuff working. I only have the basic 60 channels, plus the 3-1, 5-1 HD channels.
    Do I still need the 1600 in the box or can the 2250 do all that?

Would really appreciate any help. Thank you! Kat

Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast