Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Installing Madwifi drivers for Atheros AR5418 on Ubuntu Hardy Heron (8.04)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

HOWTO:Installing Madwifi drivers for Atheros AR5418 on Hardy (8.04) / Intrepid (8.10)

***For the most up-to-date guide please visit my blog. This version located here at the forums is out o date and will be updated soon****

http://nmbechdol.com/2008/09/18/installing-madwifi-drivers-ubuntu/

EDIT: OK, Good news for everyone . After some testing. This way of installing the drivers work on both Hardy and Intrepid. Just follow the guide below as you would. In this guide I will add a few extra steps to get it to work on Intrepid. I will highlight them in red. Watch for them, the ones in RED are ONLY FOR INTREPID. So follow the guide and ignore the RED entries if you are on hardy. if you are on Intrepid make sure to run the RED as well as the rest of the guide. If you have any questions or need traditional help. please leave a comment on this thread.

REMEMBER TO FOLLOW THIS TO THE TEETH AND DOUBLE CHECK THE COMMANDS BEFORE YOU HIT THE ENTER KEY.My disclaimer is that this worked fine on my machine. This is the way I got it to work on my machine. There might be many different ways to do it but this one worked fine for me. I take no responsibility if this breaks in any way. I really don't believe that it will. but I just wanted to let everyone know

1. First things first,make sure all the repos are enabled:

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
    From there make sure you uncomment anything that starts with "deb" in there. So changer it from "#deb" to "deb" Something along thoes lines. To exit and save hit "CTRL+X" the answer "YES" to do you want to save, then finally hit "ENTER".

2. Make sure you have all the latest updates:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    And answer yes to any thing it wants to install. Wait till it is complete and reboot.

3. Now the fun part. Install the build tools to compile and install the Madwifi drivers:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential libssl-dev
    4. Now install the kernel headers for your architecture. I have only tested this on X86 and I know it works,but for 64-Bit systems I just have not had the time to test it. This below command will install the headers based on what ever your current type of kernel is installed. By default the generic kernel is installed.

FOR HARDY OR INTREPID Thanks kevdog!:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`
    5. Next we install subversion. Learn more about subversion here.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install subversion
    6. No we get the subversion driver package.

Code:
    sudo svn checkout http://svn.madwifi-project.org/madwifi/trunk/ madwifi-ng

*NOTE* Now for the rest of the commands, we need to run them as root. Open a terminal and type this:

Code:
    sudo -i

7. Move yourself to the newley created "madwifi-ng" directory.
    Code:
    cd madwifi-ng

8.Blacklist ATH Drivers

Code:
    echo "" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

Code:
    echo "#Remove To Install MadWIFI Drivers" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

Code:
    echo "blacklist ath9k" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

Code:
    echo "blacklist ath5k" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    8. Build the installer and install it

Code:
    make && make install
    9. After that is complete we have one final step and that is to add the module "ath_pci" to the /etc/modules file.

Code:
    echo ath_pci >> /etc/modules
    Save and close.

That is it. You should have nice new drivers now installed to power your wireless card.

AGAIN IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE CONTACT ME OR PM ME OR USE THE COMMENTS BELOW

Reboot and check NetworkManager to see if you can see any wireless networks.
    Hope this help you as it helped me.
    Last edited by Nxion; May 17th, 2009 at 05:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

Re: HOWTO: Installing Madwifi drivers for Atheros AR5418 on Ubuntu Hardy Heron (8.04

YAY!!!!! Thanks to you my wireless is working again! Thanks!!!!

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Installing Madwifi drivers for Atheros AR5418 on Ubuntu Hardy Heron (8.04

i followed this guide, but madwifi still not working. when i do iwconfig, instead of getting ath0, i get wlan1, so i can't use wlanconfig. Is there another way to put the card in master/ap mode?

my specs are:

Dell xps m1530 Laptop, 2G ram, core2duo, built-in IPW4965, and a D-Link DWA643 MiniPCI-Ex Atheros based wifi card, Running Ubuntu 8.10 64bit

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What do you mean my ap/master mode?. Also check my blog in my sig. I have updated the guide for Intrepid. I will up dat it here as well. I am doing that now. For now check the blog.

BLOG

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sh@dowl1ght View Post
    i followed this guide, but madwifi still not working. when i do iwconfig, instead of getting ath0, i get wlan1, so i can't use wlanconfig. Is there another way to put the card in master/ap mode?

my specs are:

Dell xps m1530 Laptop, 2G ram, core2duo, built-in IPW4965, and a D-Link DWA643 MiniPCI-Ex Atheros based wifi card, Running Ubuntu 8.10 64bit

Thanks.
    Do you have both the Intel card and the D-Link car active at the same time?

Beans

> What do you mean my ap/master mode?.

It basically allows other computers to connect directly to it as if it where an access point.

> Also check my blog in my sig. I have updated the guide for Intrepid. I >will up dat it here as well. I am doing that now. For now check the blog.

Thanks, the guide worked, and i now have ath0. however, when i set up the interface in master mode, i can see it from a second pc, also running intrepid, but when i try to connect, it says "Athuentication key required by wireless network", and the only interactable element on the requester is a cancel button. I then scanned it with airodump-ng, which said the network was unencrypted. http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/confused.gif

Beans

Do you know if this will also work with the Atheros A5416?

Beans

I went ahead and tried this. I think they may be the same. But I am having a problem everytime I sudo echo I get "permission denied"!

Code:
     sudo echo "" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

Code:
    sudo echo "#Remove To Install MadWIFI Drivers" >> /etc/modprobe.d
    /blacklist

Code:
    sudo echo "blacklist ath9k" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    Code:
    sudo echo "blacklist ath5k" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    Code:
    sudo echo ath_pci >> /etc/modules
    All permission denied

???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAce View Post
    I went ahead and tried this. I think they may be the same. But I am having a problem everytime I sudo echo I get "permission denied"!

Code:
     sudo echo "" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    Code:
    sudo echo "#Remove To Install MadWIFI Drivers" >> /etc/modprobe.d
    /blacklist
    Code:
    sudo echo "blacklist ath9k" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    Code:
    sudo echo "blacklist ath5k" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    Code:
    sudo echo ath_pci >> /etc/modules
    All permission denied

???

Don't worry, it can easily be fixed. I have to fix this guide. The reason what the above commands don't work is that you cannot run the echo commands as a normal user. I found this out the hard way, not ever sudo will suffice either. Instead do this. Open a new terminal and enter this:

Code:
    sudo -i
    This will bring you to a root prompt. from there finish running the commands. I took off the "sudo" part because it is not needed since your root I will fix my guide today to reflect this:

Code:
    echo "" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    Code:
    echo "#Remove To Install MadWIFI Drivers" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    Code:
    echo "blacklist ath9k" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    Code:
    echo "blacklist ath5k" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    Code:
    echo ath_pci >> /etc/modules
    Here is some more documentation on root in Ubuntu: click here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

For the linux headers why make the distinction based on kernel version?

Just use the command:

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`

Thats all you need.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast