Thread: Temperature problem gone?

Beans

Temperature problem gone?

During the early Hardy cycle, many people had problems with overheating MacBooks, in particular the new MacBook Pros. I for one had a hard time getting the temperature under control on my MBA.

Now, running Intrepid (but it might also apply to the more mature Hardy), I realize I have not seen any such overheating symptoms. The fan is often idling at the lowest rpm, and I did not lift a finger trying to install/patch anything. I do tend to turn the LCD brightness down quite a lot, and sometimes I run the processors on powersave, but it seems to me that even after intense usage, the machine quickly returns to its pleasantly silent state.

Anyone else who feels there has been an improvement in this regard?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Temperature problem gone?

Quote Originally Posted by kosumi68 View Post
    During the early Hardy cycle, many people had problems with overheating MacBooks, in particular the new MacBook Pros. I for one had a hard time getting the temperature under control on my MBA.

Now, running Intrepid (but it might also apply to the more mature Hardy), I realize I have not seen any such overheating symptoms. The fan is often idling at the lowest rpm, and I did not lift a finger trying to install/patch anything. I do tend to turn the LCD brightness down quite a lot, and sometimes I run the processors on powersave, but it seems to me that even after intense usage, the machine quickly returns to its pleasantly silent state.

Anyone else who feels there has been an improvement in this regard?
    I just got my MBP4,1 at work. I tried booting the Hardy LiveCD and was very surprised at just how hot it actually got (and very quickly too). I will try out the Intrepid Beta in a few.

EDIT:
    Seems to run a bit cooler... Still a little warm, but it seemed like the better cooling didn't kick in until I got into Xorg and Gnome. During bootup it still seemed a bit hot.

P.S. The wireless driver works from the LiveCD on the Broadcom card! Just have to rmmod b43 and ssb, then re modprobe wl. Works great!
    Last edited by cyberdork33; October 9th, 2008 at 02:07 AM.