Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Laptop Load Cycle Bug Finally Fixed!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Laptop Load Cycle Bug Finally Fixed!

Quote Originally Posted by MacUntu View Post
    What about resuming from standby? Teh APM value always got set back to 128 for me. I fixed the original problem with "hdparm -B 254 /dev/sda" in my rc.local which worked fine except for resuming...
    I'm seeing the same now - the cycling is fixed until I suspend/resume. I've added a comment to the bug report linked to on the first page of this thread, can you confirm it's also happening for you?

Beans

Exclamation Re: Laptop Load Cycle Bug Finally Fixed!

Should those who have ugly fix currently installed do anything special or just wait for the update?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by zombiepig View Post
    I'm seeing the same now - the cycling is fixed until I suspend/resume. I've added a comment to the bug report linked to on the first page of this thread, can you confirm it's also happening for you?
    Yes.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by olskar View Post
    Wow! Finally after two years! Celebration time!

I suppose if you overclock your universe by about a factor of two, maybe it is two years. For the rest of us, it has only been about 1 year. (It just seems longer.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by blackhole54 View Post
    I suppose if you overclock your universe by about a factor of two, maybe it is two years. For the rest of us, it has only been about 1 year. (It just seems longer.)
    Now you are confusing me

The bug was reported 2006-09-09 ~ two years ago? Or how you underclocked your universe and are stuck in 2007?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by olskar View Post
    The bug was reported 2006-09-09 ~ two years ago? Or how you underclocked your universe and are stuck in 2007?
    Oops!

I don't think it was as much a problem with underclocking as an overly restrictive firewall! (Not enough packets getting through.) I didn't check back (this time) to the original bug report. I was going on memory, and the problem came on my radar screen (after the Load_Cycle_Count on my relatively new laptop was over 600,000) about a year ago with the appearance of articles like this.

Anyway, its good there is now a "permanent" fix.

Now if you'll excuse me while I try to dislodge my foot from my mouth ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Sounds a workaround for me rather than fix. Heads park crazily because the kernel stimulate too often the disk and if this has not been changed therefore you will still have the crazy behaviour on battery which is better but not i would call a "fix".

A fix would be to mofify the kernel to handle syslog, ext3 journal, core processes in a way that they do what they have to do all together at the same time reducing the frequency of the disk stimulation and making the thread parking really efficient.

I think i will still keep the "ugly" fix which is in fact as ugly as this one for me

I honestly hope they dealt with the laptop-mode hang issues if they advice laptop-mode-tools, i always thought laptop-mode was not developed anymore. Time will tell us.

Sorry for not being enthusiastic like you are but i feel nothing has really moved yet to enhance things at the kernel side which is inescapable for a real solution. I can't be satisfied by just a workaround added by default which however a great step forward for users not aware of this.
    Last edited by frodon; October 14th, 2008 at 08:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by frodon View Post
    Sounds a workaround for me rather than fix. Heads park crazily because the kernel stimulate too often the disk and if this has not been changed therefore you will still have the crazy behaviour on battery which is better but not i would call a "fix".

A fix would be to mofify the kernel to handle syslog, ext3 journal, core processes in a way that they do what they have to do all together at the same time reducing the frequency of the disk stimulation and making the thread parking really efficient.

I think i will still keep the "ugly" fix which is in fact as ugly as this one for me

I honestly hope they dealt with the laptop-mode hang issues if they advice laptop-mode-tools, i always thought laptop-mode was not developed anymore. Time will tell us.

Sorry for not being enthusiastic like you are but i feel nothing has really moved yet to enhance things at the kernel side which is inescapable for a real solution. I can't be satisfied by just a workaround added by default which however a great step forward for users not aware of this.
    The real "fix" would be if the harddrive-manufacturers fixed their harddrives I think Anyway I think a workaround is better then nothing for new people coming to Ubuntu and wondering why their harddrive is clicking a lot and finally dies.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hardrive manufacturers can set safer default setting this is true but if when your heads parks your kernel ask data right after as it is the case now it almost nulify the head parking interest as your head unpark right after being parked.

Anyway it is as you said a great step forward for new users, i hope it will be simple to deactivate this acpi workaround in order use the pm-util one for advanced users.
    Last edited by frodon; October 14th, 2008 at 11:02 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I was still getting nasty clicking sounds every 20 seconds so I installed the "ugly fix" again from Hardy. It seems to have stopped it.

So for me,I don't think Intrepid has fixed it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast