Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Disappointing Beta Test

Beans

Re: Disappointing Beta Test

Quote Originally Posted by wgrant View Post
    Poor defaults? Please tell. Which GNOME apps? Cheese is the only omission that I can think of, and that's rather new. Why should we use GNOME apps? There might be better alternatives.

We freeze upstream versions at FeatureFreeze so we can stabilise things. Delaying a release inevitably disappoints people and causes problems later. Upgrading everybody to a new major upstream release of something as gigantic as OOo only weeks after its release would be quite foolish. There are reasons for decisions like this.

As for the GNOME backgrounds - they are several megabytes larger than the Ubuntu backgrounds, and every megabyte on the CD counts.
    As you know GNOME apps are not GTK apps, so you pick GTK apps as default and you risk missing integration, you have no problem with f-spot/tomboy as default with mono deps yet say a few backgrounds are to much?

Pretty sure you can come up with a better reason than that. The background are larger because there are more and they are photos, you dont even offer more wallpaper(gnome abstract ones are about what few 100k, less?)

You assume everyone wants a full blown office suit rather than Abiword, yer great way of saving cd space.
    Last edited by Half-Left; October 9th, 2008 at 05:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Left View Post
    As you know GNOME apps are not GTK apps, so you pick GTK apps as default and you risk missing integration, you have no problem with f-spot/tomboy as default with mono deps yet say a few backgrounds are to much?

Pretty sure you can come up with a better reason than that. The background are larger because there are more and they are photos, you dont even offer more wallpaper(gnome abstract ones are about what few 100k, less?)

You assume everyone wants a full blown office suit rather than Abiword, yer great way of saving cd space.
    Another idea...the 'cosmos' pictures have been taking space on the CD for several releases...I think...maybe gnome-backgrounds could replace them?

/usr/share/pixmaps/backgrounds/cosmos
    Last edited by swj; October 10th, 2008 at 01:10 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Which GTK but non-GNOME apps do we pick over their GNOME equivalents, other than Firefox and OpenOffice.org? Those are undoubtedly better than their current GNOME counterparts, although I dearly hope this changes for both soon.

I don't really see the point of carrying F-Spot and Tomboy given their fairly large Mono deps, but others seem to think that they're necessary. However, this is unrelated to our ability to carry new backgrounds - Mono is already there, but the backgrounds are not. The backgrounds would take new space that we probably don't have. Mono does not.

I really don't care about the rationale for their huge size. All that matters is that they are big. It is a non-trivial percentage of the CD size.

I'd love to get OOo off the CDs, but the fact is many people need a full office suite It's also not up to me. Abiword isn't bad, but Gnumeric's support for non-native formats is dismal. There is also no alternative to OpenOffice.org Impress, as far as I'm aware.
    William Grant
    Ubuntu Developer

Beans

Quote:
    I'd love to get OOo off the CDs, but the fact is many people need a full office suite It's also not up to me. Abiword isn't bad, but Gnumeric's support for non-native formats is dismal. There is also no alternative to OpenOffice.org Impress, as far as I'm aware.
    Also OOo Word Processor is much better at importing and exporting .doc than abiword. Secondly, abiword is real good if you just need a simple word processor and not interact much with .doc or .odt.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've only 2 issues with the Beta

1) Firefox slow on pages with floating panels (sections of the page that stay static when you scroll the page) and with more than your "youtube" embedded video.

2) Bluetooth not 100% Can send files to but can't receive files from my N95. It WAS working at the start of the week but after the 2 (or more) Bluetooth updates this week it's borked again..

Problem 1 is due to my slow laptop (p4 2Ghz with 512Mb ram and 16Mb Video)
    Problem 2 is annoying but not a deal breaker...

I've actually had less issues with 8:10 betas than i had with 8:04 betas!
    Laters...
    Sol
    "Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere" User numbers: Ubuntu 23772 Linux 477911

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Also OOo Word Processor is much better at importing and exporting .doc than abiword. Secondly, abiword is real good if you just need a simple word processor and not interact much with .doc or .odt.
    I have found that Abiword 2.6 is pretty darn good at using these formats.

Re delaying the release for new versions of apps - that would be a never-ending delay - something is always unfinished and late. Ubuntu would become Debian! We had the same discussion about KDE 4.0 didn't we - and what a good idea is was to go without that! IMO the Firefox 3.0 beta gamble with Hardy was a bad move - but more forgivable in a LTS release.

The Ubuntu release cycle is well known upstream and if the devs want their new baby included, they know exactly what they have to do.
    Aubrey
    Make a difference with Kiva microloans.
    My (new) Arduino and Ubuntu Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm not sure about you, but the first thing I do after any system install is download all the customisations that I prefer. In fact, I make a habit of burning important files and apps to a cd, so if I can't get my network up, I don't need to download. If you want a different background so badly, how hard is it to go to google and get one? Seriously, give the devs a break - they're working pretty damn hard to get a whole new release out on time, and its posts like this that just irritate them.

EDIT: reading that through again, it comes across as *flame**troll**flame*... Sorry for getting annoyed, but i've just read about 10 of these sorts of posts saying "my favourite feature isn't in the release, can you put it in?", and its getting to me. JM2C.
    Ubuntu user #11075
    Howto: AwesomeWM (OUTDATED) || My BitBucket Page || My deviantArt page
    If you find a post helpful, click the medal icon to give thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by chucky chuckaluck View Post
    ... wallpaper is a tiling of the opera icons.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123