Thread: Disappointing Beta Test

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Disappointing Beta Test

Quote Originally Posted by MaX View Post
    I agree with 1 and 2 but... Ekiga?
    Who uses that?
    Telepathy Empathy or whatever it's called it's way more usefull since now I can talk with people on Google Talk! in Windows!

I know no-one that uses Ekiga.

4... sure... I'd rather see it updated post-launch.
    5... same here.
    7 I'd uninstal it anyway since I don't have a webcam.
    I actually made a poll on this, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=834407

So far, 90.84% do not use it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Cool Re: Disappointing Beta Test

Yeah, it is actually kind of disappointing...

These are my reasons:

1.The start-up of the new Linux kernel is extremely hard to operate, I have to hold 'control' to keep it going and have to press 'enter multiple times to get it loading.

2. hard to connect through even Ethernet
    HP pavilion dv 6910us, 2.0 GHZ AMD turion 64 X2, 3 GB of RAM, Nvidia GeForce 7150M.
    cool tongue dude!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Gimp 2.6 is a nice surprise! Lets hope for ooo 3!

On ekiga...It does seem the older version is lacking and was not really used by most people, but the new version is suppose to bring many improvements...I would have at least tried it out...my understanding is Skype is still not 'open source'.

Beans

You got some good points, Ubuntu seem to pick poor defaults and doesn't use the GNOME apps as it should. It even doesn't have the gnome wallpapers and all you have is a default and one other, very poor.

Beans

Wink Re: Disappointing Beta Test

Proud Slackware Current user
    /Kernel 2.6.29.6; KDE 4.2.4; XOrg 1.6.3/
    Once you got Slack, you never turn back

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by inxygnuu View Post
    Yeah, it is actually kind of disappointing...

These are my reasons:

1.The start-up of the new Linux kernel is extremely hard to operate, I have to hold 'control' to keep it going and have to press 'enter multiple times to get it loading.

2. hard to connect through even Ethernet
    Both are rare bugs. They affect very few people. File them.
    William Grant
    Ubuntu Developer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Left View Post
    You got some good points, Ubuntu seem to pick poor defaults and doesn't use the GNOME apps as it should. It even doesn't have the gnome wallpapers and all you have is a default and one other, very poor.
    Gnome wallpapers are available if you install gnome-backgrounds.
    I guess you are saying that they should have been installed by default.
    We are talking about Linux people here. The Windows guys/girls are happy to keep the picture which came with their computer (I haven't seen too many people changing it). On the other hand, all Linux desktops are customized. So yes, it might be a good idea to provide more wallpapers to choose from.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Left View Post
    Poor defaults? Please tell. Which GNOME apps? Cheese is the only omission that I can think of, and that's rather new. Why should we use GNOME apps? There might be better alternatives.

We freeze upstream versions at FeatureFreeze so we can stabilise things. Delaying a release inevitably disappoints people and causes problems later. Upgrading everybody to a new major upstream release of something as gigantic as OOo only weeks after its release would be quite foolish. There are reasons for decisions like this.

As for the GNOME backgrounds - they are several megabytes larger than the Ubuntu backgrounds, and every megabyte on the CD counts.
    William Grant
    Ubuntu Developer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by wgrant View Post
    Poor defaults? Please tell. Which GNOME apps? Cheese is the only omission that I can think of, and that's rather new. Why should we use GNOME apps? There might be better alternatives.

We freeze upstream versions at FeatureFreeze so we can stabilise things. Delaying a release inevitably disappoints people and causes problems later. Upgrading everybody to a new major upstream release of something as gigantic as OOo only weeks after its release would be quite foolish. There are reasons for decisions like this.

As for the GNOME backgrounds - they are several megabytes larger than the Ubuntu backgrounds, and every megabyte on the CD counts.
    I have always been happy with the default apps I suppose, but in the case of cheese not really...there is really no alternative that I can think of and again, it is part of gnome now.

I suppose you make a good point about ooo 3...personally, I would not mind 8.10 being delayed until all the major apps were upgraded and tested.

On the gnome backgrounds, perhaps taking out some of the 'examples', i.e., the ubuntu video, etc. would make more room. The ubuntu video could be put on you tube, for example.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by swj View Post
    On the gnome backgrounds, perhaps taking out some of the 'examples', i.e., the ubuntu video, etc. would make more room. The ubuntu video could be put on you tube, for example.
    I guess the examples are there for first time users: after installing Ubuntu, your home folder is empty. You would like to click on something, to open a document, listen to some music, play a video. This is out of the box (if it works).

Then comes the next steps: click on an mp3 see that you need codecs, they will be downloaded. Go to youtube, see that this needs flash, it will be downloaded.

But for the first time experience, no download should be required.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast