Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any body tried PC-BSD 7?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Talking Re: Any body tried PC-BSD 7?

i want to try t out(you need 3 ISO Cd's for install ?)
    Registered Linux user,number 507113.02-01-2013: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO 785G |Athlon 2 X4 640|4 GiB DDR|1 TiB SATA2|Radeon HD 6570(HDMI)|Realtek 7.1 HDMI audio|Gigabit Lan|Kubuntu 12.10 Quanzal AMD64

Beans

Re: Any body tried PC-BSD 7?

You only need the first one, the others are just extra packages.

Beans

The FreeBSD repo is *not* available through PBI's although you can install them through ports. PC-BSD generally discourages that because it's deemed too advanced although imo if you're going to be learning and installing via ports you might as well install FreeBSD instead of PC-BSD. My only problem with FreeBSD is the lack of video drivers for my card and the time it takes to install updates (of course there are more than one way but through portmanager it takes days )

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thumbs down Re: Any body tried PC-BSD 7?

Well, I must say I have tasted the PC-BSD 7 flavor and I must say...IT NEEDS A LOT OF WORK.

I kinda thought I would like it at first, since it supported Atheros AR5007 Wifi card (which my laptop carries and Ubuntu has failed to support out of the box). I was very happy, until KDE 4 started crashing. No webcam support and the fact that I couldn't enable desktop effects either and their small selection of PBIs.

Yes, you can install other FreeBSD PBIs, but the whole point of their system is their list of already compiled versions specifically for PC-BSD 7. Which is a pretty small list, by the way.

What I really praise is how it looks SUPERFICIALLY. It's something I would buy if I saw it on TV on a high end notebook or desktop. It looks prettyful, but like that saying goes..."not everything that shines is made of diamonds". My guess is PC-BSD will be ready in about a year or so, when stable versions are out and there is enough support for devices such as webcams and such.
    Desktop: Dell Dimension 2400
    Intel Pentium IV / 1GB RAM DDR / 160GBHD / Integrated Graphics / XUBUNTU 10.10 & Still lower than a slug!
    Kaffeboy´s Twitter

Beans

PC-BSD 7.0.1 update available
    I'm hoping this takes care of the bugginess I experienced in the 7.0 version. Downloading now to try on my test laptop.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HuBaghdadi View Post
    Hey,
    Has any one tried PC-BSD 7?
    I don't know but I can hardly resist it
    It is FreeBSD 7 man !
    Any stories to share?

Yes I have tried it. I was running Edison Edition and it ran great. Thought I would download and install 7.0.1 Fibonacci. I downloaded the i386 iso, and after 2 attempts to get it to install it finally did. I barely found my way around the new KDE desktop, when the screen went black. I lost my patience with it and threw DaVinci on. Next I thought maybe I would try 7.0.1 on my amd64 machine. I downloaded the 1.6 gb iso and tried the install. It wouldn't detect my mouse from the back usb. It worked in the front though. Nice. Then the installer just hung
    I rebooted and tried 3 more times, installer hung every time. I tried 1 last time and made it further into the set up, when I noticed the graphical installer page was mis sized. It was too big, and I could'b see the NEXT button to proceed, nor could I see all my options.
    In the trash all the 7.0.1 discs went. So I threw Debian Lenny on the amd64 machine and the install was never easier.

I don't want to screw around with an install. If they can't make it install trouble free, I don't want it. BSD's Edison and DaVinci run well on my i386 machine, but not 7.0.1 Fibonacci. Fibonacci sucks as far as I am concerned.

And PBIs are a great idea. Who ever said they are stupid is wrong. They work like Aptitude or Synaptic but better. You get lazy using the PBI installer though. I do wish they had more programs available in the PBI directory. But PBI is as good as any software installer could ever be.

So my experience with 7.0 was not a good one. I'm gonna stay with the older release for a while. It works for me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hajimow View Post
    I am trying to install FreeBSD 7.0 amd64 on my new PC. I have a separate HD for that. When I put the first disc1, the booting window comes and then when I hit enter or wait for 9 seconds, it checks my resources and then hangs there. the last line that I can see is
    ehcio [ithread]
    I also tried i386 version and I got the same result. any help on how I should tackle the problem?
    My system is:
    LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner SATA Model iHAS220-0
    pqi TURBO 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PQI26400
    BIOSTAR GF8200 M2+ AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8200 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
    SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD322HJ 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
    Old floppy drive

Biostar dude?? Anyway, 7.0 seems to be buggy. I don't like the new version of kde. Geez, I don't like KDE at all. Try an older version. I have had good luck with Edison Edition and DaVinci.

Beans

Just tried the 7.01 version and don't like it at all. The desktop and apps are slow and it won't detect any of usb flash sticks. On the plus side, my intel 3945 wifi worked.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Biostar dude?? Anyway, 7.0 seems to be buggy. I don't like the new version of kde. Geez, I don't like KDE at all. Try an older version. I have had good luck with Edison Edition and DaVinci.
    I think he's talking about FreeBSD mate in which I would say is anything but buggy

Beans

I tried PC-BSD 7 and it corrupted my Vista partition. KDE4 is still NOT ready for mainstream usage yet and the fonts looked very jagged on my monitor. Needless to say, I re-installed Vista and just used regular FreeBSD with an XFCE desktop environment. Now I'm much happier.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast