Thread: gnome-volume-manager and sound-juicer missing?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

gnome-volume-manager and sound-juicer missing?

OK, not really missing, but they are not in main anymore. They are in universe.

I can see the reasoning behind removing sound-juicer: you can rip audio CDs with rhythmbox.

But gnome-volume-manager? This is supposed to start a program when you plug in your camera, or a DVD, whatever.

I tried to find some info on the net, but nothing was found. Could someone send my a link to some information about this?

Thanks.
    Last edited by forumache; October 7th, 2008 at 11:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: gnome-volume-manager and sound-juicer missing?

Quote Originally Posted by forumache View Post
    OK, not really missing, but they are not in main anymore. They are in universe.

I can see the reasoning behind removing sound-juicer: you can rip audio CDs with rhythmbox.

But gnome-volume-manager? This is supposed to start a program when you plug in your camera, or a DVD, whatever.

I tried to find some info on the net, but nothing was found. Could someone send my a link to some information about this?

Thanks.
    Your reasoning for sound-juicer is correct. gnome-volume-manager is no longer necessary either - nautilus does the mounting now.
    William Grant
    Ubuntu Developer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: gnome-volume-manager and sound-juicer missing?

Quote Originally Posted by wgrant View Post
    Your reasoning for sound-juicer is correct. gnome-volume-manager is no longer necessary either - nautilus does the mounting now.
    Thanks for answering so quickly.
    I understand that nautilus does the mounting.
    But running dpkg-query -L gnome-volume-manager I see that it also includes gnome-volume-properties (which is System|Preferences|Removable Drivers and Media)

I see that Nautilus has Edit|Preferences|Media, but it seems limited comparing with gnome-volume-properties:

no Digital Camera
    no Digital Video Camera
    no Web Camera
    no Palm
    no PocketPC
    no Scanners, Printers, Mouse, Keyboard and Tablet

for all of the above you were able to assign an action to be executed at connection, using gnome-volume-properties.

OK, it is not a big problem. If this is the "new way" I will remove sound-juicer and gnome-volume-manager from my Ubuntu

Thanks,
    Dan