Thread: WHAT THE HELL! Latest Update

Beans

Re: WHAT THE HELL! Latest Update

I'll try recovery mode tonight when i get back home

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

last update really messed things up for me.
    1. ATI x1900. no white screens etc. but desktop effects stopped working. if I try turning them on by right clicking desktop > change background > visual effects the message of "searching for drivers" appears and then it says effects cannot be enabled. if i try typing compiz --replace, it says i'm not whitelisted.
    2. another thing - mp3 won't play in rhythmbox after updates, although skype sound or ubuntu sounds work, and i'm able to play music in vlc.

so what is wrong with those updates? shouldn't they improve the system, not damage it? because the more updates for me from alpha6, the more problems i have to fix manually.. disappointed..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you prefer a Linux system (Ubuntu) but would like to test Intrepid, I suggest a triple boot setup. Windows, Hardy and Intrepid. Then if Intrepid won't boot (not uncommon) you can access all your files from Hardy. Apart from hard drive space, there is no practical limit to how many operating systems you can have installed.

I test several flavours of Ubuntu and have over a dozen partitions on my PCs.
    Desktops: AMD64X2 3GB RAM 500GB SATA2 GeForce9400GT - P4 HT 3.2Ghz 1GB RAM 250GB IDE + 2x160GB SATA ATI Radeon X740XL - Laptop AMD AthlonXP 1.6 512MB RAM 120GB HD ATI M200

Gina's Ubuntu HowTo's for beginners (and reference)

Beans
    Distro

Ubuntu as opposed to Kubuntu seems to work well with the -6 kernel. If I run up the old -4 kernel in Kubuntu and do a dist-upgrade to -6 it might work....or will it just see the -5 kernel and only upgrade that ?
    Intel E5700 G41 8Gb Xubuntu 13.10, Ubuntu 13.4, WinXP.
    Revo R3610 Win7 Pro, Ubuntu 13.04

Absolute Beginners Compiz-fusion wiki Local Weather

Beans

I can't seem to get past the white screen, I'm simply not good enough at this stuff to fix it myself. I think I'm going to just wait for the next update to hopefuly fix it.

Beans

That last update just FUX0Red my Internet connection. I booted up with a Linux Mint LiveCD, but I'm not sure how to fix it as the GUI is not responding well, and I'm a newbie to ifconfig.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Gedemins View Post
    last update really messed things up for me.
    1. ATI x1900. no white screens etc. but desktop effects stopped working. if I try turning them on by right clicking desktop > change background > visual effects the message of "searching for drivers" appears and then it says effects cannot be enabled. if i try typing compiz --replace, it says i'm not whitelisted.
    2. another thing - mp3 won't play in rhythmbox after updates, although skype sound or ubuntu sounds work, and i'm able to play music in vlc.

so what is wrong with those updates? shouldn't they improve the system, not damage it? because the more updates for me from alpha6, the more problems i have to fix manually.. disappointed..
    I have the same problem, where desktop effects don't work. I have intrepid as well and it started just after the most recent updates. I'm using an ATE x1300 mobility graphics card. I assume the next update will fix this but any insights would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

This thread is the perfect example of why you should NOT run Intrepid before it's released on the machine you do work on...

Beans
    Distro

The White screen is a bit of a typical annoyance for radeon users, check this out:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...83#post5883283

hope it helps

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MaX View Post
    This thread is the perfect example of why you should NOT run Intrepid before it's released on the machine you do work on...
    Agreed. It's in beta, that's B for bugs, but as part of a multiboot system it should be OK. After all the more people that test it the more bugs will be found by official release time.
    Intel E5700 G41 8Gb Xubuntu 13.10, Ubuntu 13.4, WinXP.
    Revo R3610 Win7 Pro, Ubuntu 13.04

Absolute Beginners Compiz-fusion wiki Local Weather

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast