Thread: MIT $100 Laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

MIT $100 Laptop

MIT $100 Laptop
    World Summit on the Information Society - Tunis, Tunisia.
    By Andy Carvin on 17 November 2005.
    Tags // Laptop 100 MIT
    Recorded: 11/17/2005 | Location: Tunis
    Added: November 23, 2005, 8:13 am

Vote Score: Video has not yet been voted on.
    Broadcast: Public Video

Posted the previous day by minihoster

100$ MIT Laptop
    by minihoster
    Added: November 22, 2005
    http://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=Lri_g2JdZxM

And the day before that here:

100 $ laptop
    presenting the $100 laptop first video
    Tags // computer : event : laptop : futur : technology : cheap :
    Added: November 21, 2005 by mrique
    Runtime: 08:17 | Views: 25 | Comments: 0
    Last edited by macewan; November 24th, 2005 at 04:15 AM.
    "He who fights Monsters should see himself does not become a monster...remember, when you look into the abyss the abyss also looks into you."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: MIT $100 Laptop

Beautiful! Thanks for the link to the video! I remember when I first heard about it, I couldn't believe it was real. Great to see they're making so much progress.

Beans

I can't wait until they start to distribute those things.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

i saw that on tv a week or so ago, i agree'd with the guy that said that there are much better things to be invested in, developing countrys don't need laptops. just cos we think laptops are neat and fun, doesn't meen that a child living in poverty, fearing that the next gunshot they hear will be for them does.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I agree, countries that can't afford power/computers do have some other things to worry about than word-processing.
    Is a $100 laptop cheaper than the books they would need to get the same education? I doubt it.
    Don't underestimate the power of paper and pencils. I think I did just fine in my education without a laptop.
    Thanks for the link. Thats the first time I got an up close demo of this thing. I really like it, and I think it should serve a use in developed countries.
    Registered linux user 394273

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by gord
    i saw that on tv a week or so ago, i agree'd with the guy that said that there are much better things to be invested in, developing countrys don't need laptops. just cos we think laptops are neat and fun, doesn't meen that a child living in poverty, fearing that the next gunshot they hear will be for them does.
    http://www.andycarvin.com/archives/2...ng_the_10.html
    "He who fights Monsters should see himself does not become a monster...remember, when you look into the abyss the abyss also looks into you."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by professor_chaos
    I agree, countries that can't afford power/computers do have some other things to worry about than word-processing.
    Is a $100 laptop cheaper than the books they would need to get the same education? I doubt it.
    Don't underestimate the power of paper and pencils. I think I did just fine in my education without a laptop.
    Thanks for the link. Thats the first time I got an up close demo of this thing. I really like it, and I think it should serve a use in developed countries.
    e-books should be cheaper or free. So I think over a few years a student or the school will save money. Also some of the targeted countries are also focusing on Open source software e.g Brasil and China. which will save the economies squillions in the future if the kids learn to work with open source software

what about the data storage, it says 1GB of memory, I guess that would be flash?!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I know that the UN approved this plan. To me, it sounds amazing, but to I have my doubts. The plans are to sell the laptops directly to each country's ministry of education under the condition that they buy one for each of the children in the county.

Here's the thing that gets me. The laptops will be given out in schools. That in itself creates a huge problem. Does this mean that the laptops will be given to the folks who can already afford to send their children to school? What about the inequities with girl-child education? Will girls be unfairly treated? I know firsthand that many of these schools, especially in rural areas don't even have desks or chairs for these students to use.

Well, it's easy to be a pessimist, but I honestly think that it's a step in the right direction. It's about time the international community take initiative in providing more educational opportunities for all children.