Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Logout Icon missing from Desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Logout Icon missing from Desktop

Hello all,
    I have somehow managed to delete the Logout Icon from the upper task-bar or menu-bar, right-hand side. Can someone enlighten me as to how to replace that Icon/Link? The normal user of this machine does not feel comfortable using the command line to shutdown/reboot/logoff the system, and I'm having a serious "brain-fart" trying to remember how to replace that link.

Regards...

mikey5555

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Logout Icon missing from Desktop

Hi

Right click on the menu bar

Click on "add to panel"

Select "Quit" and click the add button
    Acer Aspire 1353 Bodhilinux 2.4.0
    Toshiba A200 14.04(64 bit)
    Asus EeePC 1011PX 14.04 (32 bit) dual boot W7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Thumbs up Re: Logout Icon missing from Desktop

Quote Originally Posted by roger_1960 View Post
    Hi

Right click on the menu bar

Click on "add to panel"

Select "Quit" and click the add button
    Thanks roger_1960...
    Dooohhh!!! I knew it was simple. I guess my brain was still at lunch.....

Regards...

mikey5555

Beans

My case is a little bit different, i didn't delete the quit icon, but it popup a error saying gnome error ... (cant remember that message) .. then i notice the quit icon had missing. i search for help, every1 also saying that add panel->quit ... but I totally cant find the "Quit" in the Add to Panel window.... how to add back the "Quit"? or where can i find that quit command/application?
    Last edited by aritaro; January 1st, 2009 at 01:23 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aritaro View Post
    My case is a little bit different, i didn't delete the quit icon, but it popup a error saying gnome error ... (cant remember that message) .. then i notice the quit icon had missing. i search for help, every1 also saying that add panel->quit ... but I totally cant find the "Quit" in the Add to Panel window.... how to add back the "Quit"? or where can i find that quit command/application?
    You could always just "sudo reboot" (without quotes) from a terminal but that's not really a fix.

Beans

there is a lot way i can use to shut down or reboot, but as you said that is not a fix, i wanna learn troubleshooting and fixing my ubuntu. linux is different from windows, everything is open, there must be a way to fix.

anyone have any idea how to add back the quit? and i got few question in my mind now...

1. quit is an executed application?

2. full name is guit? or gtk-quit? i search the key "quit" i found gtk-quit.png and gtk-quit.svg, but dont have executable gtk-quit.

3. i cant find either quit or gtk-quit in synaptic package manager. can i use apt-get to install it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Do you have the quit item in your system menu on the task bar? It would help if you could remember what was that error message.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ok, this may be a stupid comment, but there is no "quit" choice, have you tried looking for "shutdown" or "logout" in the add to panel dialog, not "quit"?

Beans

Ben Page.

sorry I new to ubuntu, i tried check the system log but I can't find that error message. I remember it saying something like gnome:...... error...
    I search the word gnome in the system log but nothing appear.

jbruced,

I have Log Out and and Shut Down in the System menu and the Add to Panel. But I they are different from the quit button at the top right side of the panel.

The quit icon looks like this , when i clicked it, it shows a dropdown with the option such as Logout, shot down, reboot ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Duh, I feel stupid. Add the "user switcher" to the panel, it has the options you're looking for.

Hope this finally helped.

Bruce

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast