Thread: Didnt understand IP addressing?

Beans

Didnt understand IP addressing?

I personally didn't understand the concept of IP addressing.
    These are the doubts that i have:
    1) If a IP address can be resembled by a.b.c.d then and if each a,b,c,d can take approx. 240 values. Does it mean that simultaneuously 240^4 computers can be connected online. Is this correct?

Beans

Didnt understand IP addressing?

I personally didn't understand the concept of IP addressing.
    These are the doubts that i have:
    1) If a IP address can be resembled by a.b.c.d then and if each a,b,c,d can take approx. 240 values. Does it mean that simultaneously 240^4 computers can be connected online. Is this correct?
    2) Then when i came to the concept of Subnet mask i began to think it this way. The subnet mask is what classifies you under a ISP. Therefore everyone within a IP has the same Network address.
    3) Then my friend told me this. A IP address is what is assigned to ISP, and we are given private IP's within the public IP's of the ISP. This is what happens in an organization. When i was told this i got confused. Can someone please give me a cut through definition of how everyone in the world has a different IP address?? Cause that should mean that there are not enogh IP's, but that is not the case.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Didnt understand IP addressing?

Have a look here, this may help you understand ip addresses a little better:

http://www.networkcomputing.com/netdesign/ip101.html

Jim

Something like that. The four quads of the dotted quad notation (a.b.c.d) is split to represent the network address and the host address. These can take the form of class c <ne.two.rk>.host, class b <net.work>.<ho.st> and class a <network>.<h.o.st> .

The number of hosts that can be addressed on a class c network is 254 because only the last quad is used to represent the hosts. Each quad is represented in a byte which has a maximum value of 2^8 (256) which are 0 - 255. you can't use the last address as it is used as the broadcast address and zero can't be used as it is the same as the network address.

expand this for each class so for a class b address two quads are used for the host. Two quads are represented in two bytes (16 bits) so can represent 2^16 - 2 hosts.

Class c can represent 2^24 - 2

And ipv6 is becoming more popular and I don't have a clue about that yet.

Hope this is both accurate and helpful.

Consequently the earth is, of course, flat.
    Last edited by leg; October 7th, 2008 at 08:08 AM. Reason: corrected numbers
    Noli illegitimi carborundum

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Should probably mention CIDR, (cariboo907's link does) which is Classless Inter-Domain Routing.
    Might also mention private IP addresses since one of the questions in your other thread touched on them. Might as well throw in a link about NAT since that's the answer to the last question in your other thread.
    Last edited by Iowan; October 6th, 2008 at 11:32 PM.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Threads merged.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]