Thread: Acer Aspire 5930G

Beans

Acer Aspire 5930G

I am thinking on buying this laptop. One of the reasons is the powerfull GPU which I will use for programming purposes (no kidding here!).

As such I would like to know how its hardware is supported.
    I have checked https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestin...cerAspire5930G but there are too many blanks...

Can anyone give me feedback on this laptop? What works and what doesn't work.
    Correct refresh rate? 3D Acceleration? TV out? Hibernates? Suspends? Sound works without problems? Bluetooth? Card reader (seems broken)?

Wireless NIC and webcam seem to work.

Thanks!

BTW, feel free to recomend me an altertative laptop (as long as it has a powerfull GPU and is more or less in the same price range).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Acer Aspire 5930G

Hello friend. I bought this laptop 2 days ago. It came with Windows Vista Home Premium (ew). I tried to install Windows XP Pro and now I'm with Ubuntu 8.10. One problem remains the same no matter what OS I'm using: The Wireless NIC is not working correctly. I can't connect to my Wireless LAN or any other wireless LAN. It detects the wireless networks but it can't connect. I'm still trying to find a solution to this, but until now I can't fix it. Apart from the Wireless LAN problem everything else works perfect.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

There is also another bug with the lan card dropping thousands of sky2 eth0: rx length errors in the kernel log.. which seem to be the problem avoiding games like quake to join internet servers.

The rest of hardware works pretty good, except the microphone and i think the sound over hdmi (i have not tested these last yet).

I use it for programming mostly too, i find te screen very little, maybe because i'm not used to panoramic screens.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Does headphones exit work?
    Xwang

Beans

Arrow Re: Acer Aspire 5930G

Actually i am having a huge problem with this laptop for ubuntu
    screen is shaking whenever i boot ubuntu and cannot solve this
    details are here