Thread: Upper gnome-panel constantly rearranges itself

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Upper gnome-panel constantly rearranges itself

Here's what I added to it: a character palette, two CPU monitors (one for each core,) a shortcut to "connect to remote server," a shortcut to the calculator, a shortcut to my "school" directory, a shortcut to the terminal, the fusion icon, and "lock screen."

Every time I reboot, the applets are in a different order. I have to constantly fix it. "lock to panel" didn't work. I even tried padding it out with separators, and it didn't work. The origin of this problem was when I moved the shutdown button about an inch off the right edge so I could bind something to that corner in Compizconfig. It's been driving me nuts ever since.
    He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
    -Thomas Paine

Beans

Re: Upper gnome-panel constantly rearranges itself

This has been driving me mental since I upgraded from 6.06LTS to 8.04. It's still driving me nuts.

I'm just using the basic metacity setup (no acceleration or frills). I've noticed a lot of complaints about it in the Fedora forums as well.

For reference I have 8.10 installed in a VM and it does it also.

A fix, workaround or some chewing gum and duct tape to stick the icons to the bar would be warmly welcomed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Hi there, no solution? I have the same problem. The panel behaves perfectly until I change screen resolution (necessary to run a projector "cloned" with the screen for presentations). On switching back to the original resolution afterwards, the volume control applet and time/date applet icons insist on moving to the left hand side of the panel.

Then you have to unlock all the applets and move the two offending items back to where they came from and then lock everything again.

Most frustrating. Any advice would be most appreciated...

Thanks!!
    Jac de Beer

Save the Earth, it is the only planet that has chocolate!

Beans
    Distro

For reference, this seems to happen if the screen resolution changes in such a way that there's not enough room for all the items on the panel. For example, going into fullscreen at a low resolution.
    He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
    -Thomas Paine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The thread is marked solved. How was the problem solved?
    Life's a pitch. And then you sing!

Beans
    Distro

By making sure the above conditions never happened. (I started using full resolution in games.)
    -Thomas Paine