Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on XPDE?

Beans

Thoughts on XPDE?

XPDE is a desktop envirioment that "simulates" Windows XP UI, I been thinking, maybe it might be good idea for users that never have used linux, I mean they can experience more from the same UI but different system(linux of course)

anyway!, what are your thoughts about XPDE

(Link: http://xpde.com )
    A freelancer | The GIMP Compilation

Beans

Re: Thoughts on XPDE?

lets face it, all you need to make gnome into a windows XP style OS is to take the menu and put it on the bottom left side of the screen and then place the clock on the bottom right and magic it looks a whole lot like windows, these are things even monkeys can do. Perhaps these people should focus on making a new and more inovative way of using an OS rather than giving people a crutch to walk on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

I've looked at it before but it makes better sense to me to use a more stable mainstream DE like Gnome or KDE. By the looks of it XPDE is still in beta and doesn't seem to be in active development, or hasn't been updated recently in any case.

Beans

Normal case: The politically correct me
    Italics: Inner voice

Cool. (Disgusting!) It's good for whoever wants to use it. (This will fool people into thinking Linux is Windows with some different inner structure) Good to know it exists as an option. (Lame..) It can at least help a few complete newbies do the transition, so while I don't find it aesthetically pleasing (UGLY) and wouldn't recommend it to anyone (Use Windows if you want a Windows look.. Or Linspire) it's still good to know people put thought into aesthetics for newcomers in special (put that energy and time into introducing them to Gnome instead?)
    Last edited by 23meg; November 23rd, 2005 at 01:12 PM.
    Previously known as 23meg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'm wary of anything that tries to completely copy the look of another thing. Try to make different things too similar, and you'll only make the differences stronger.

Beans

If people is using Xp's style, using Xp's programs through Wine, why they are using Linux at all??
    Very unnecessary...

Dima

Beans
    Hidden!

if you can't get kicked in the nuts, go for the next best thing.

Beans

I've seen this before. I'm still not impressed. If you want Windows, you know where to find it.
    My sole duty is to my own happiness and well-being. I recognize no other.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg
    Normal case: The politically correct me
    Italics: Inner voice
    You seem to have a problem with multiple personalities. (He's a freak!)

Anyways, I don't think there's really a need for something like XPDE. I set up my family with an Ubuntu machine, and none of them know any more about technology than a piece of toast does. I just did what JimmyJazz suggested, and stuck the menu bar at the bottom of the screen. Now, instead of thinking they're using Windows and wondering why it looks so weird, they know they're using Linux, and they love it.
    In another space and at another time. There was a space ship lost controle. She crushed into a planet. Only one crew saved his life. But it was just a starting of his survival.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg
    Use Windows if you want a Windows look..
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormy Eyes
    If you want Windows, you know where to find it.
    This is an illogical argument. You're acting as if the GUI is all there is to the OS, when in fact it's one of the least important factors (when we're talking about subtle differences like the ones between Gnome, KDE, and XPDE). You're saying someone should use Windows simply because they happen to prefer the interface, regardless of what they think of the other, more important factors, such as cost, stability, performance, philosophy etc.? And that this is preferable to any attempt made to make or customise a DE that has similarities with the Windows GUI?

Perhaps not in this case, but in general all these people harping on about unique Linux is and how it's a sin to do anything at all that draws inspiration from another operating system don't seem to realise that GNU/Linux itself was basically a project to clone UNIX. These pseudo-elitist attitudes are naive and unconstructive.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast