Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What to tweak/remove in Debian/Ubuntu to make 'em fastest/faster

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: What to tweak/remove in Debian/Ubuntu to make 'em fastest/faster

If you want the fastest distro, use only command line, meaning, like they already said, remove Xorg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Arrow Re: What to tweak/remove in Debian/Ubuntu to make 'em fastest/faster

@ Malkovich

Thanks for the reply but my quest is for fastest GNOME distro as CLI is not an option for me.

After removing the packages I don't need (a long list includes Tracker search, Bluetooth & CUPS packages), and setting visual effects to none (even though Compiz works just fine on this PC), Ubuntu 8.10 'feels' lot faster and more responsive. Though I'm not sure whether these removals have any correlation with Ubuntu being feel faster.
    hobbyist | enthusiast
    Windows 7 | Linux Mint 11 | Registered Ubuntu User #30240

Beans

Well it is kind of silly to run a "personal computer" from CLI if a windows based GUI is available.

I am referring to surfing the web, watching videos, listening to music, animation, graphics, etc. I am presuming most people would be using Ubuntu in a "personal home computer" situation.

Personally, I am impressed with the size of your geekpeen ; ]

As far as keeping the masses away I'd would disagree.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by .jeger View Post
    I tried Arch, but mucked something up while doing the installation. I'll come back to it when I've had some more experience with simpler installs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jags_FL View Post
    After reading Arch being one of the fastest distro, I tried but couldn't install Arch. I don't remember exactly now, but I was getting some kind 'Pacman' errors while installing GNOME.
    If you follow the Arch Beginners Guide to the letter you really shouldn't have any problems.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tipalm View Post
    Well it is kind of silly to run a "personal computer" from CLI if a windows based GUI is available.

I am referring to surfing the web, watching videos, listening to music, animation, graphics, etc. I am presuming most people would be using Ubuntu in a "personal home computer" situation.

Personally, I am impressed with the size of your geekpeen ; ]

As far as keeping the masses away I'd would disagree.
    You can do all those things (well, maybe not animation/graphics, but you can view them) in CLI.

/me is talking from XFCE (though I have went from Flux to Openbox to Awesome to X doesn't work/running ncmpc in a tty for a couple days to here on Arch)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

it's better to build from the bottom up if you really want speed. the debian net install is great for this and actually pretty easy if you are even vaguely familiar with the basics of the cli. arch is another option, i haven't tried it myself yet but by all accounts it's easier than you'd think and the documentation for it is excellent.

if you really wanted to be a speed freak you could try using xvesa instead of xorg, though i think it is no longer actively maintained. that shouldn't be necessary though. the main bottlenecks are the login manager and the window manager. if you've a heavy DE of course it'll be slow. openbox and pypanel on the other hand will fly (or even xfce, though that's not quite as light ).

dillo is very lightweight as a web browser but doesn't support frames. kazehakase is light and full-featured, and opera also seems to do well surprisingly enough.

though not debian-based the customised kernel in puppy boots extremely quickly, so maybe that distro'd be worth a look, i'd certainly reccommend it.

if you are insistent on gnome, a new arch or debian netinstall would be the fastest i'd say.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Arrow Re: What to tweak/remove in Debian/Ubuntu to make 'em fastest/faster

tipalm, handy, voteforpedro36 & dizee

guys thanks a lott for your replies...

Ok I'm gonna try to install Arch again and though I have successfully tried Debian net install somehow I come back to Ubuntu in a day or two... I always keep Ubuntu installed on the biggest partition anyway.

Regarding Firefox: to speed up the net surfing to the extreme, I have banned some 50 advert sites (Doubleclick, Atwola, Atdmt to name a few) in my router's hardware firewall, now if I don't use 'NoScript' (which is available with Firefox only; also have to mark those 50 sites as 'Untrusted' in NoScript) or use any other browser (irrespective of OS) the web page will keep looking for advert sites untill it times out and will then open the rest of the page. With combination of banning worst advert sites + NoScript + FiOS, most web pages opens like they are stored locally
    hobbyist | enthusiast
    Windows 7 | Linux Mint 11 | Registered Ubuntu User #30240

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345