Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *EASY* TV Tuner software that works?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

*EASY* TV Tuner software that works?

Is there an easy TV tuner software out there? I mean come on.. MythTV might end up nice - but I've been trying to get it going for 2 hours and honestly I'm shot.

Is there anything in the repo out there I can grab and get my Hauppauge HVR-950 going? I was trying to get things working out of the box.. But MythTV clearly isn't an out-of-the-box install.

I'm using 8.10 Ubuntu beta 64bit. Its running smooth no issues. Thanks for your help!

Beans

Re: *EASY* TV Tuner software that works?

I have a Pinnacle USB tv tuner, using the em28xx driver. This is how I got it going: http://www.2nrds.com/digital-tv-in-l...em28xx-devices
    Do you have a driver for the tuner installed?
    I try to avoid kde apps, but I cant beat kaffeine as a tv viewer.

Just looking at the website above, your tv tuner is supported. Just follow the tutorial to install the firmware and v4l (video for linux) module, and using kaffeine you should be on your way. Also, MythTV will work fine once you have the driver installed.
    Last edited by keplerspeed; October 5th, 2008 at 06:51 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I use TVtime and Xawtv myself. TVtime for watching most things and Xaw for converting VHS to DVD or recording shows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

just google for "V4L install" (the drivers you need) then you can use any tv viewer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have Technisat skystar 1ci and drivers are in core of UBUNTU 8.04. But you must replace 1 byte in eeprom, what I wrote here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=820505.:)

Beans
    Distro

I guess something is wrong.. even after following the easy direction on the first post when I goto "make" the driver it fails out. I'm just gonna past where it fails.. not the whole thing.

Code:
    c:41:
    /home/nate/firmware/driver/v4l-dvb-kernel/v4l/../linux/include/media/v4l2-dev.h:365: error: field 'class_dev' has incomplete type
    In file included from /home/nate/firmware/driver/v4l-dvb-kernel/v4l/../linux/include/media/v4l2-common.h:29,
                     from /home/nate/firmware/driver/v4l-dvb-kernel/v4l/bttvp.h:37,
                     from /home/nate/firmware/driver/v4l-dvb-kernel/v4l/bttv-driver.c:41:
    /home/nate/firmware/driver/v4l-dvb-kernel/v4l/../linux/include/media/v4l2-dev.h:394: warning: 'struct class_device_attribute' declared inside parameter list
    /home/nate/firmware/driver/v4l-dvb-kernel/v4l/../linux/include/media/v4l2-dev.h:394: warning: its scope is only this definition or declaration, which is probably not what you want
    /home/nate/firmware/driver/v4l-dvb-kernel/v4l/../linux/include/media/v4l2-dev.h: In function 'video_device_create_file':
    /home/nate/firmware/driver/v4l-dvb-kernel/v4l/../linux/include/media/v4l2-dev.h:396: error: implicit declaration of function 'class_device_create_file'
    /home/nate/firmware/driver/v4l-dvb-kernel/v4l/../linux/include/media/v4l2-dev.h: At top level:
    /home/nate/firmware/driver/v4l-dvb-kernel/v4l/../linux/include/media/v4l2-dev.h:403: warning: 'struct class_device_attribute' declared inside parameter list
    /home/nate/firmware/driver/v4l-dvb-kernel/v4l/../linux/include/media/v4l2-dev.h: In function 'video_device_remove_file':
    /home/nate/firmware/driver/v4l-dvb-kernel/v4l/../linux/include/media/v4l2-dev.h:405: error: implicit declaration of function 'class_device_remove_file'
    In file included from /home/nate/firmware/driver/v4l-dvb-kernel/v4l/bttv-driver.c:41:
    /home/nate/firmware/driver/v4l-dvb-kernel/v4l/bttvp.h:94:1: warning: "clamp" redefined
    In file included from include/linux/cache.h:4,
                     from include/asm/pda.h:7,
                     from include/asm/current.h:19,
                     from include/asm/processor.h:15,
                     from include/linux/prefetch.h:14,
                     from include/linux/list.h:6,
                     from include/linux/module.h:9,
                     from /home/nate/firmware/driver/v4l-dvb-kernel/v4l/bttv-driver.c:32:
    include/linux/kernel.h:376:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
    /home/nate/firmware/driver/v4l-dvb-kernel/v4l/bttv-driver.c: In function 'show_card':
    /home/nate/firmware/driver/v4l-dvb-kernel/v4l/bttv-driver.c:172: warning: type defaults to 'int' in declaration of '__mptr'
    /home/nate/firmware/driver/v4l-dvb-kernel/v4l/bttv-driver.c:172: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
    /home/nate/firmware/driver/v4l-dvb-kernel/v4l/bttv-driver.c: At top level:
    /home/nate/firmware/driver/v4l-dvb-kernel/v4l/bttv-driver.c:176: error: expected ')' before '(' token
    /home/nate/firmware/driver/v4l-dvb-kernel/v4l/bttv-driver.c: In function 'bttv_register_video':
    /home/nate/firmware/driver/v4l-dvb-kernel/v4l/bttv-driver.c:4637: error: 'class_device_attr_card' undeclared (first use in this function)
    /home/nate/firmware/driver/v4l-dvb-kernel/v4l/bttv-driver.c:4637: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    /home/nate/firmware/driver/v4l-dvb-kernel/v4l/bttv-driver.c:4637: error: for each function it appears in.)
    make[3]: *** [/home/nate/firmware/driver/v4l-dvb-kernel/v4l/bttv-driver.o] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [_module_/home/nate/firmware/driver/v4l-dvb-kernel/v4l] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-4-generic'
    make[1]: *** [default] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/nate/firmware/driver/v4l-dvb-kernel/v4l'
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    any ideas?

Beans
    Distro

bump... sorry I'm getting bored.. my tv is broken and my tv tuner doesn't work.. google doesn't help me much either

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

First remove the default V4L drivers,in a terminal enter...

sudo mv /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/media /root/`uname -r`-kernel-drivers-media-backup
    (This doesnt really remove them but moves them to a different location)

Next Install mplayer if you don't have it...

sudo apt-get install mplayer
    Next Install the firmware,in a terminal enter these lines (seperately)...

cd /tmp
    wget http://www.steventoth.net/linux/xc50...25271_WHQL.zip
    wget http://www.steventoth.net/linux/xc5000/extract.sh
    sh extract.sh
    sudo cp dvb-fe-xc5000-1.1.fw /lib/firmware/`uname -r`
    NextInstall newer V4L drivers,in a terminal enter these lines (seperately)

wget http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb/archive/tip.tar.bz2
    tar jxf tip.tar.bz2
    cd v4l-dvb-49ea64868f0c/
    make all
    sudo make install
    Reboot

Open a terminal and enter...
    dmesg | less
    you should see something like this...
    [ 35.391481] tveeprom 2-0050: Hauppauge model 72001, rev B2F0, serial# NNNNNNN
    [ 35.391485] tveeprom 2-0050: MAC address is NN-NN-NN-NN-NN-NN
    [ 35.391487] tveeprom 2-0050: tuner model is Xceive XC5000 (idx 150, type 4)
    [ 35.391490] tveeprom 2-0050: TV standards NTSC(M) ATSC/DVB Digital (eeprom 0x88)
    [ 35.391492] tveeprom 2-0050: audio processor is AU8522 (idx 44)
    [ 35.391494] tveeprom 2-0050: decoder processor is AU8522 (idx 42)
    Scan for chanels in the terminal enter...

sudo apt-get install dvb-utils
    scan -U /usr/share/doc/dvb-utils/examples/scan/atsc/us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB > ~/.mplayer/channels.conf.atsc
    Watch TV with mplayer ,in the terminal enter...
    mplayer dvb://
    (change channels with h and k change volume with 0 and 9)

Mythtv should also detect the card now.
    Last edited by fenian; October 6th, 2008 at 02:34 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Well I followed all your instructions.. made 2 two steps from the end.. while scanning for channels I get an error.
    Code:
    >>> tune to: 57028615:8VSB
    WARNING: >>> tuning failed!!!
    >>> tune to: 57028615:8VSB (tuning failed)
    It kept going so i stopped it.. Does ATSC mean its going to tune to over the air HD channels or does that scan for cable channels also? Not sure whats wrong any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It would scan for over the air atsc HD channels.If you were using an external cabble box I think you would have to set the HVR-950 to channel 3.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast