Thread: Network Card - Strange Noises

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Network Card - Strange Noises

Hey everybody,

I hope it's OK for me to post this in this here though my problem is not specifically Ubuntu-related but as quite the PC noob I hope somebody can help me.

So I've bought this new shiny Sony Vaio laptpop in Korea (VGN-CR325; Korean model number, not quite sure how it translate to western models) and I'm loving it to pieces except for one thing:

It seems that when I'm connected to the internet via a LAN cable, the network interface card is making strange noises.
    At least I think it's the networking card; switching on Skype or any browser or IM seems to trigger the noises.
    It's coming from the right hand back corner of the latop, where the on/off button and the inlets for the electricity and LAN cables are located.

It's a really high-pitched, unsteady sound that actually is not that loud but as soon as I'm working in a quieter surrounding it's becoming more noticable.
    As it doesn't stop at all and is so high and unsteady, it's getting on one's nerves really fast and somehow disturbs one while working on the PC.
    The fan and harddrive noises are rather silent and not disturbing at all, but that constant beeping/cheeping is driving me crazy and seems to follow me around even if I switch the laptop off (my roommate even noticed it once from around 2 meters away).

My question now is:
    is there a way to solve this problem or do I have to stalk the Sony shop or the repair service and address explain it to them?

Are there programs which could regulate those noises?
    Or is there something broken within my networking card?
    Are these noises common at all?

I'd like to avoid having to have the thing repaired or get a new one, but my main gripe is: I'm quite sure that in the shop you wouldn't notice the sound (because it's so loud there).
    What if they tell me it's not there or normal or every model has it? Would I be able to get a refund?
    And what if they tell me that even if the sound is there and even if it's unnerving it's still acceptable (I know that e.g. a very few pixel errors on a screen have to be tolerated by the customer).

I'm really quite at a loss what to do -- this sound is driving me really crazy and just not connecting to the internet or switching the music on really loud while working is simply not a solution (esp. for my roommate ).

Thanks a lot in advance, I'd be really glad if someone could help me!
    Last edited by sobakasu; October 5th, 2008 at 04:51 AM. Reason: spelling error

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Network Card - Strange Noises

Wow, I've never heard of a network card making sounds...but I guess anything with electricity could theoretically make noise.
    You probably need to get it replaced. I don't see why it would ever make that noise, must be a hardware defect. (Which means it could entirely fail soon.)
    friends don't let friends use windows.

installed ubuntu on 7 computers and going up

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by werries View Post
    Wow, I've never heard of a network card making sounds...but I guess anything with electricity could theoretically make noise.
    You probably need to get it replaced. I don't see why it would ever make that noise, must be a hardware defect. (Which means it could entirely fail soon.)
    Thanks so much for your reply!

I really hope that it's "only" a hardware defect that can be repaired...

The strange thing is I noticed that the sound is even triggered when there is no cable connected to the PC at all and I just open any program that could some time require access to the net...

So... huh?

Beans
    Hidden!

If the machine is still under warranty, and it turns out to be a fault that's covered by the warranty, you'll be sweet. In the meantime, you might want to unplug the cables and then plug them back in again, just to make sure that the connection is good.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    If the machine is still under warranty, and it turns out to be a fault that's covered by the warranty, you'll be sweet. In the meantime, you might want to unplug the cables and then plug them back in again, just to make sure that the connection is good.
    lisati, thanks for your reply, too!

Yes, it should still be covered by warranty as it's been not even a week since I bought it, so lucky me!

I also tried dis- and reconnecting the cable several times and even tried out different cables but the problem still persists... *sigh*