Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Creating your own Iron Man (Tony Stark) Desktop/Computer Station/Lab

Beans

Creating your own Iron Man (Tony Stark) Desktop/Computer Station/Lab

Alright, at this point, weve all seen the movie Iron Man.

(Not sure if this is in the right section)

But we all remember Tony Starks Lab/Computer Station.

How realistic is it to actually build?

I'm not talking an Iron Man suit or his manufacturing robots/Build Station, or even J.A.R.V.I.S.

Just the computer(s), monitors(TVs) & software/OS

Now I've read a couple of threads on here, but nothing really got any where.

Lets go over a couple of key points:

His digital keyboard:

He waves his hand across a platform and a very unique, & special keyboard materializes.

1) First off, how is a keyboard like that built? Is the technology available today?
    2) What kind of keyboard setup was that? It wasnt your normal QWERTY Keyboard.

The monitor setup:
    Having several monitors is the easy part,

But, it seems that they all were perhaps touchscreen?

3) Are there monitors out there that large that are touch screen like that?

4) What about the pen/pointer/mouse he was using to click and drag items to other monitors or work stations?

Is this actually real? Or is that just a movie prop?

There also were some type of gloves, or fingertips that he was wearing while utilizing his 3-D workstation that allows him to grab and work with applications and exploded items...

5) Are these gloves/fingertips possible? (making them bluetooth would be ideal obviously)

Then there was his table top, 3-D workstation.

I know microsoft has some technology out there like this,

6) But is it something that is obtainable, perhaps even to make yourself with out spending 42 million dollars?

7) And what about the 3-D application on his table top workstation?

8) Is there actually software out there available that allows things to become 3-D like that, and also allow for "exploded" views of things?

Now I also like the "Black Liquid Glass" look of his OS.

I've read where his OS was perhaps all designed on Linux (but why wouldnt more people know about it here if it were?)

I have a similar theme on my desktop, via the pics attached, but I need to incorporate the "liquid" aspect of it in.

I have found something similar on a Compiz-Fusion Forum called "Top" or "Htop"...

It seems it was only for the terminal, and doesnt have a defined "border" to show it as a separate application,

But, is there any way to incorporate these two screen shots into one type of overall theme?

Taking my "Black Glass" theme and melting it with this "Top"/liquid feature/look?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: Creating your own Iron Man (Tony Stark) Desktop/Computer Station/Lab

nothing?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This really isn't the right place for this kind of disccusion, I'll ask one of the mods to move it to the Community Cafe.

Jim

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicWonders View Post
    Alright, at this point, weve all seen the movie Iron Man.
    Nope & I have no idea what you are talking about

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Are you geeky for asking this, or am I geeky for responding??

Well, they have data gloves already (for a LONG time). My friend used to play games with virtual reality visor and data gloves, but found he fell off his chair all the time and many of the games would make him feel physically sick.

Definately, you could get large touch screens. And holographic projection can be done. Any device can be located in space with radio signals (i.e. transmitters on the walls and recevier in a glove or pen), or even you can use interference of beams.

..have to go, but basically all seems feasible but not cheap enough for most people to do (and also likely to be more likely to have problems with... imagine all the driver software you'd need in ubuntu for this set up! he he)
    Dual Bt:XP/Karmic:dell Inspiron 1520(32bit):Intel Core 2 Duo T7250(2.0GHz/4MB L2 Cache):NVIDIA GeForce8600M GT 256MB:3GB DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz:160GB SATA5400RPM:Widescrn(1680x1050):8x CD/DVD burner(DVD+/-RW)Dble Layer Support:Wireless-Intel 4965AGN

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by uberdonkey5 View Post
    Are you geeky for asking this, or am I geeky for responding??

Well, they have data gloves already (for a LONG time). My friend used to play games with virtual reality visor and data gloves, but found he fell off his chair all the time and many of the games would make him feel physically sick.

Definately, you could get large touch screens. And holographic projection can be done. Any device can be located in space with radio signals (i.e. transmitters on the walls and recevier in a glove or pen), or even you can use interference of beams.

..have to go, but basically all seems feasible but not cheap enough for most people to do (and also likely to be more likely to have problems with... imagine all the driver software you'd need in ubuntu for this set up! he he)
    I'd say were both geeks for being on a linux forum to begin with, so anything is fair game at this point.

What software/hardware allows you to to holographic projections?

Is the software able to be used with your hands like a touch screen is and how Tony does in the movie?

I'm sure its not that cheap right now, but jesus, within the next 2 years, this should all really be feasable and will seem to put us in a technology "sweet spot" for quite some time.

hey as long as linux stays open source... and you have the money, you can pay someone to create the drivers you would need for all of this to function properly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

is this the sort of thing you are looking for? if so it is just some simple tweeks of the settings of emerald and the inbuilt themes
    Last edited by vallhalla81; December 19th, 2008 at 12:06 PM. Reason: added pic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

extra pics edited screen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Re: Creating your own Iron Man (Tony Stark) Desktop/Computer Station/Lab

Maybe you want this....

http://oblong.com/
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Nope & I have no idea what you are talking about

Ok, I watched the movie two weeks ago and enjoyed it

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast