Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unusual "partitioning" requests?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Unusual "partitioning" requests?

yes.. I should have known that you knew how to mount read-only.

Take a look at SeLinux - My guess is that it can provide the functionality that you want with regard to read-only filesystem.

ref: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SELinux

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by iponeverything View Post
    yes.. I should have known that you knew how to mount read-only.

Take a look at SeLinux - My guess is that it can provide the functionality that you want with regard to read-only filesystem.

ref: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SELinux
    You're still missing the point. Read the original post. The OP wants the partition to be read-only in both Windows AND Linux, presumably on any machine he plugs the device into. That means that there must either be a way to accomplish that with software that lives in the device and automatically runs on all OSes, or there must be a hardware setting, like the read-only switches on some devices.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mssever View Post
    ...wants the partition to be read-only in both Windows AND Linux, presumably on any machine he plugs the device into. That means that there must either be a way to accomplish that with software that lives in the device and automatically runs on all OSes, or there must be a hardware setting, like the read-only switches on some devices.
    Yes. I'm thinking of something like the following:
    1. Create filesystem, load with files I want.
    2. Mark filesystem read-only using chmod.
    3. Copy filesystem to flash drive using dd.
    4. Enjoy write-protected (read-only) flash drive.

Now, I'm pretty sure that the above "solution" is impossible, but it outlines my thinking of the type of process that would be used. I mean, I don't think chmod works on entire filesystems, nor dd for preserving those changes from being changed back with chmod.

I'm thinking of something as a solution that the only way to make it writable again would be to copy all files to another device, delete the (read-only) partition, re-create it, and then put the files back on it.

Also, I'm still wondering about the mysterious U3 act of having one device being seen as two.

Thanks all,
    computer_freak_8
    I'm just a geek...

Beans

Somehow, I doubt if you'll be able to use the ext3 filesystem and still meet your Windows requirements, but the chattr +i command would probably do something quite similar to what you want if you're able to use ext2/3. See the man page here--for some reason, there's no man page in Hardy.

Beans

Hiya! I might be able to help with the first question at very least this being because I more or less did that.

I dualboot with Vista and Kubuntu 8.04, and each of the OSes have their own partition (big enough to fit the installation and whatever programs they need). With the rest as a shared space, and while others seem to not like the idea as much. It has worked pretty well for me. What I did was set the partition that I wanted to share as an NTFS partition, this way I can freely read/write from Vista, and after entering my password to mount it I can freely read/write from Kubuntu. Ive even gone so far as to add it as a "D:\" drive in Wine so that I can install and run programs form there as well

At this point you can then go back and set the settings in each os (If Im correct at this point) to make them read only. It's a long way to go about getting it done but it does work.

As for the flash drive. You should be able to load it in the partition program and define how you want to break it up. (or so has been my experience in the past).

Hope this helps!
    -Chii
    Last edited by Chii; October 6th, 2008 at 11:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Chii View Post
    As for the flash drive. You should be able to load it in the partition program and define how you want to break it up. (or so has been my experience in the past).
    Herein lies the problem. Partitioning, (at least how I know how to do it,) "breaks up" a device into "pieces" in the form of /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2. What I am trying to accomplish is to "partition" (probably not the correct term for what I am attempting) it so that is shows up as /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1, or something to that effect.
    I'm just a geek...

Beans

Hmmm, I've not tried to actually name them in any particular order so this is only a guess.

But could you just not define a volume name when you go about doing this? Or if the partition program you are using is anything like the one that you are presented when you install (K/X/)Ubuntu; would you not be able to define the volume name there?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hmmm, I've not tried to actually name them in any particular order so this is only a guess.

But could you just not define a volume name when you go about doing this? Or if the partition program you are using is anything like the one that you are presented when you install (K/X/)Ubuntu; would you not be able to define the volume name there?
    I think that you're referring to mounting. Yes, I could mount a two partitions on a device under /media/sda1 and /media/sda2, or I could choose to mount them under /media/sda1 and /media/sdb1. But this does not change what the computer (kernel?) "sees" them as.
    I'm just a geek...

Beans

Ah...then I'm not sure what else to suggest. Sorry I can't be of more assistance :/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ah...then I'm not sure what else to suggest. Sorry I can't be of more assistance :/
    That's okay. You never know until you try.

Thank you for trying!
    I'm just a geek...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12