Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I lost EVERYTHING

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I lost EVERYTHING

In an attempt to due a clean install of Hardy and back up my data, I lost all my data. Although the clean install took and Hardy works very nicely. I only know enough to get me into trouble, as is evident now, so is there any where in the Orange County area where an expert could look at my computer and see if anything I lost is still there somewhere?

Beans

Re: I lost EVERYTHING

How many hard drives on your system?

I usally have all my data on another drive and then mount it after a fresh install. But I feel your pain.

Beans

Sorry to hear about our data, anything not overwritten by your clean install has a decent chance of being recovered.

There are many software programs that will scan your disk and give you an idea of what can be retrieved. The important issue is not to use the disk in the meantime as you run the risk of over writing more files.

To get this done professionally can be pretty expensive. Good Luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/...the-day-again/
    photorec
    Not familiar with its use personally but it may be worth investigating further .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

okay. Got photorec, and it looks very promising; got an external drive a 500 GB Freeagent. Now all I need is to get the freeagent to be have read and write permissions so I can access it as where I want the recovered files to go. I've already used gparted to format the drive to ext3. Command df -h output: Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda6 37G 36G 0 100% /
    varrun 502M 104K 501M 1% /var/run
    varlock 502M 0 502M 0% /var/lock
    udev 502M 60K 501M 1% /dev
    devshm 502M 48K 501M 1% /dev/shm
    lrm 502M 39M 463M 8% /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/volatile
    overflow 1.0M 96K 928K 10% /tmp
    gvfs-fuse-daemon 37G 36G 0 100% /home/brenbren/.gvfs
    /dev/sdb1 463G 199M 439G 1% /media/disk
    but when in photorec /media/disk is not an option.
    Please help, I am so close!!!
    Last edited by Perfect Storm; October 6th, 2008 at 06:38 PM. Reason: please don't use swear words, thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This is a step-by-step on Photorec (with screenshots):
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/...deleted-files/

It's targeted to Windows, but it'll work for Ubuntu as well (just make sure to select Ext3 instead of NTFS).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I love the psychocats guide, it's just that when I get to the part where I need to pick a place to put the recovered files, my external drive under /media is not there as an option. The drive is there when I check via terminal. But not in photorec. Any theories?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Best guess....
    Check you have mounted the external drive. Look on the desktop, is there an icon for it?
    Yes?
    right click on the icon and click on the <volume> tab and that will show you the address of the mount point address.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

right clicking the icon does give me options, none about volume though. Except unmouting volume. which elicited this warning:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You need to check the permissions of the drive! I will dive off and look for a proper method for you to unlock the drive from root... (the quick and naughty way to do it is to
    gksudo nautilus
    in a terminal and browse the drive as root and create a folder on it and give users read/write permissions to the folder .) I'll be back..

and here again..

sudo chmod 777 was what I was looking for. (in your case it looks like sudo chmod 777 -R /media/extra would be right)

This should give any user permission to read/write to the drive location /media/extra
    Last edited by Zimmer; October 8th, 2008 at 02:03 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast