Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Novel Writing Software for Linux - FOUND!

Hybrid View

Beans

Novel Writing Software for Linux - FOUND!

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was complaining several months ago because I couldn't find writing software for linux, and now I found one!!!

It's still in development and several features need to be added still, but it's only a matter of time. I love the layout, I love the way it's set up, sort of like WriteWayPro and yWriter combined.

Here's the link to the homepage:

http://www.wwmkr.com/

It's called Writer's World Maker.

I uploaded a screenshot too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Novel Writing Software for Linux - FOUND!

Wonder if the devs have seen the Gnome HIG...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ummm... Is it like OpenOffice or more like Scribus?
    Another round of Ubuntu for my friends here!
    Fighting to bring Pink back to The Pink Ponies archive.
    DELETE INSANITY!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lukjad007 View Post
    Ummm... Is it like OpenOffice or more like Scribus?
    Looks to me as though it's more for a screenplay type document.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think I saw several software of this type before actually. But I don't remember the names.

Beans

I found this one a while back: http://www.writerscafe.co.uk/

It costs money though, and is not open source, but it has a lot of potential if you (unlike me) aren't to lazy to figure it out.

Beans

Calligra Author, a new application in the Calligra Suite, has been out for a year now. I've just learned of it.

http://www.calligra.org/news/calligra-announces-author/
    The application will support a writer in the process of creating an eBook from concept to publication. We have two user categories in particular in mind:
    • Novelists who produce long texts with complicated plots involving many characters and scenes but with limited formatting.
    • Textbook authors who want to take advantage of the added possibilities in eBooks compared to paper-based textbooks.

For the first category Calligra Author will provide tools which are used in different phases of the creative process: Synopsis, writing, reviewing, polishing and publishing.
    From the sound of it, it seems like the biggest leap forward in book length writting for the Linux world at large. Has anyone used this yet?

Beans

Here's another update on Calligra Author. I believe the Developers are asking for feature recommendations for the next version in the works now. This is the time to voice your opinions to them
    http://ingwa2.blogspot.com/2013/08/c...next-step.html
    In the announcement I wrote: "We will make sure that Calligra Author will be a useful tool for all phases of the writing process". We analyzed the writing process together with some writer friends and came up with 4 phases of the process: planning, writing, review and publishing.

• Planning: -
    • Writing: word count in the status bar and distraction free writing mode
    • Review: Notes, also known as annotations and export to MS DOCX format
    • Publishing: export to EPUB2 and MOBI formats.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I came across this thread when searching for Zim (desktop wiki) for organising development notes.
    I'm experiencing problems in simple Zim search (on Ubuntu 12.04).
    I think I'll switch away from trying Zim since it seems difficult to arrange hierarchical file structures to be searched by different attributes.

I'll add to this novel writing thread one further package which has briefly been mentioned in post #41 - scrivener (but that post referred to Scrivener/Windows).

There is a Linux beta version of Scrivener worth trying by writers.

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=33

I have Scrivener running nicely on Ubuntu 12.04.

Scribus has also been mentioned.

Beans

There isn't anything better than Tomboy Notes for searching through dozens of notes within all notebooks, that I've been able to find. But there is no hierarchical file structure at all, besides individual notebooks, which could easily be assigned, say Front_Matter, Introduction, Chapter_1, Chapter_2, Chapter_3, Back_Matter, Characters, Places, Events etc.

Zim (Desktop Wiki) isn't good for searching your material, but it is good as an outliner and hyperlinks within the project, and outside the project to spreadsheets, for instance for Characters, Places, Events and Outlines. I've been far more creative writing and searching in Tomboy Notes, than composing or brainstorming manuscript in Zim.

Thankfully for me, both Tomboy and Zim have good spell checker and correctors.

I've been planning on using Zim as the intermediate stage of my Books. It does a great job of importing Tomboy Notes, then of course you have to arrange everything in the proper organization of the book.

For the final part, self publishing, I plan on using LaTeX (print medium) and possible Calligra Author (for ebook). Author probably has another year to go before its stabilized, according to what I've read, maybe in the 2014 release, but it's made huge progress in 2013.

Scribus is an interesting, possibly great alternative to LaTeX for self publishing the print medium. [For submitting to an Agent or Publishing House, that would require a standardized book submittal format, using LibreOffice, Calligra Suite (next year), or MS Word.

Here's a great link about LyX that I'd like to share, for those interested in using LaTeX text markup system to typeset their book for self-publication)

LyX would be useful after the first draft has been compiled and you wish to put into a proper publishable book, much like Scribus, the goal with both are something in publishable format. The article discribes a one paragraph synopsis of the process of creating a book with LyX, a higher level typsetting application that works with the TeX markup language and LaTeX package system for fomatting text to particular templates publication format, for instance a Novel Kile and TexMaker would be good alternet choices to LyX for typsetting a book using the LaTeX system. For organizing notes, outlining and distraction free writing, you'd almost certainly want to compile the book using an outliner or text editor first.

http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/tutorials...-book-with-lyx
    Publish a book with LyX
    Sep 28, 2012
    [contents]
    Step 1 Install LyX
    Step 2 Choose document class
    Step 3 Adhere to the document structure Document structure
    Step 4 Use the section browser
    Step 5 Add index marks
    Step 6 Add citations
    Step 7 Insert ERT (Evil Red Text)
    Step 8 Set up converters
    Step 9 Set up image converters
    Step 10 Add images
    Step 11 Chapter precis
    Step 12 Add equations
    Step 13 Add labels
    Step 14 Front matter
    Step 15 Layout and format
    Step 16 Designing the cover
    Step 17 Add an ISBN
    Step 18 Order proof copies
    Step 19 Investigate alternative output formats
    Step 20 Select a printing service

Last edited by markMDW; September 1st, 2013 at 10:41 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast