Thread: Problems after interrupting updates

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question Problems after interrupting updates

I run Ubuntu 8.04. I had done a fresh install on my removable hard-drive and so when I started updates, I had almost 246 MB worth of them. I was running the updates when I had a power cut. I was almost half-way through (having downloaded around 130 MB of updates) but had to stop it and shut down. After the power returned and when I started up Ubuntu again, I only get a white screen and my cursor. I did a Ctrl+Alt+Backspace and logged into Failsafe Gnome and things are fine. In fact, I'm posting this thread through Firefox in Failsafe Gnome mode.

I'm wondering if the interrupted updates is the culprit. If I completely download and install ALL the remaining updates, will Hardy be back to normal? I can do the update and see it for myself in Failsafe mode, but just want to know why exactly I got that all-white screen!

Help me!
    Sooner or later.. we must start.. LIVING

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Problems after interrupting updates

Hi -- first things first -- I've been playing with Ubuntu for all of three weeks. So, I know nothing, really, and am learning everything.

That said, from your description, if you were trying to install to a fresh hard-drive, and you lost power in the middle of it, why not just start over? If I were you, I'd want to know that I got a nice, clean, complete install -- now's the time to do it, before you actually start using the OS.

My first ubuntu install was on an 7-yr-old 4G hard-drive that had been configged for Win 2000. I've since swapped out the old HD with a new 80G drive -- so I was trying to do what you're doing. I noticed that if anything interrupted the install, while I'd eventually get into Ubuntu, the lower third of my screen was screwy -- not white, but some strange video thing going on. At any rate, I FDisked the new drive, and repeated the install -- haven't had any probs since. My only regret is that I didn't do that original install on the new hard drive with the latest version of U -- I had a disk from a prev version, and had to update to 8.04 after I installed that.

Happy Heron Hunting!

ADM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

It wasn't a distro update. Also, I did a proper shutdown! It applied whatever updates it had downloaded till then!
    Sooner or later.. we must start.. LIVING

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You should be able to finish updating the system. If you get an error for a broken package the error message will provide the command to fix it.