Thread: Problems after interrupting updates

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question Problems after interrupting updates

I run Ubuntu 8.04. I had done a fresh install on my removable hard-drive and so when I started updates, I had almost 246 MB worth of them. I was running the updates when I had a power cut. I was almost half-way through (having downloaded around 130 MB of updates) but had to stop it and shut down. After the power returned and when I started up Ubuntu again, I only get a white screen and my cursor! I did a Ctrl+Alt+Backspace and logged into Failsafe Gnome and things are fine. In fact, I'm posting this thread through Firefox in Failsafe Gnome mode.

I'm wondering if the interrupted updates is the culprit. If I completely download and install ALL the remaining updates, will Hardy be back to normal? I can do the update and see it for myself in Failsafe mode, but just want to know why exactly I got that all-white screen!

Help me!
    Last edited by exchequer598; October 4th, 2008 at 03:49 PM. Reason: added elaboration :-D
    Sooner or later.. we must start.. LIVING

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Problems after interrupting updates

Quote Originally Posted by exchequer598 View Post
    I run Ubuntu 8.04. I had done a fresh install on my removable hard-drive and so when I started updates, I had almost 246 MB worth of them. I was running the updates when I had a power cut. I was almost half-way through (having downloaded around 130 MB of updates) but had to stop it and shut down. After the power returned and when I started up Ubuntu again, I only get a white screen and my cursor! I did a Ctrl+Alt+Backspace and logged into Failsafe Gnome and things are fine. In fact, I'm posting this thread through Firefox in Failsafe Gnome mode.

I'm wondering if the interrupted updates is the culprit. If I completely download and install ALL the remaining updates, will Hardy be back to normal? I can do the update and see it for myself in Failsafe mode, but just want to know why exactly I got that all-white screen!

Help me!
    The interrupted updates probably didn't cause the problem since it had not started to apply them yet. If the power outage happened during the package install part of the update process -- it could have been a very different story -- Regardless, I would finish the update in failsafe and see what happens.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Problems after interrupting updates

I did do a proper shutdown though! It applied whatever updates it had downloaded till then!
    Sooner or later.. we must start.. LIVING