Thread: Convert AMR to MP3 for mobile phone

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Convert AMR to MP3 for mobile phone

Hi I have a sound file on my Nokia 7250i (AMR) and I want to convert it to a mp3 to use as a ringtone on my phone that I use now which is a Samsung SGH-D500. I have converted it using WinFF from amr to mp3 for phones(mono). Not sure if that is the right one? Then I selected 'send to' and used obex push but my phone wants a passkey and I don't know what that is. I have read quite a few links on this subject but none of them mention the passkey. I also had trouble before when i tried through the connectivity setting in the phone and it wanted a pincode which I don't have and that is not mentioned in the phones manual.
    Has anyone got any clues on what I should do next.

Well I am having no luck converting the amr file. I tried to convert it to just an ordinary mp3 as well and the output it 0kb's. I tried transferring it to the phone anyway and it didn't play. IT said something about that it wasn't the right format. The interesting thing is that there are some other sound son this phone that are mmf but I didn't see that winff can convert to that format.
    Good thing is I have worked out how to transfer files over to the phone without a passkey so that is cool now.
    Last edited by rapattack1; October 4th, 2008 at 05:29 PM. Reason: more info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Convert AMR to MP3 for mobile phone

Yippee it is working. For anyone that is looking at this post you need to install medibuntu into the repositories but uninstall ffmpeg and winff first. After Medibuntu then you can reinstall them.