Thread: Pulse audio fix for vmware?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Pulse audio fix for vmware?

Whenever i open vmware beta it always says sound device is busy.How can i fix it?

Beans

Re: Pulse audio fix for vmware?

This worked for me (sort of):
    VMWare PulseAudio HOWTO

You can skip #2 and #3.

Also you need to install padevchooser and open "System/Preferences/PulseAudio Preferences":
    In the "Network Access" tab, check "Enable Network access..." and "Don't require authentication"

I said "sort of" because sound from the vm's stutters, crackles, and pops. You need to fiddle with the settings for default-fragments and default-fragment-size-msec until it's bearable - it won't be perfect (4/5 worked ok for me)

Oh, and you need a correct PulseAudio setup to begin with, so follow this HOWTO: PulseAudio Fixes & System-Wide Equalizer Support (Hardy Heron)

Beans

How to report the problem and how long until it is fixed? Good thing I'm not in any rush, but this is an example of the sort of niggling little problems that keep me from relying on Ubuntu for serious work...

Beans

I installed basic ubuntu 11.04 server install with ssh and kvm and added below packages for basic gui support:
    xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-core
    openbox
    obconf
    virt-manager
    lxterminal
    xinit
    virt-goodies
    vlan
    firefox
    mc
    pulse*
    paman

and then i installed vmware server 2.0.2 and followed the guide for the audio and nothing. Vmware server starts with error:
    msg.noautodetectbackingquestion:cannot connect virtual device sound. No corresponding device is available on the host

any ideas?

thx