Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgrading Ubuntu to Intrepid Ibex from Hardy Heron

Beans

Re: Upgrading Ubuntu to Intrepid Ibex from Hardy Heron

I updated last night and had some errors with some of the packages. I can get to the users selection screen now but when I log into any of them, the Desktop won't load (flat blue screen and mouse). I've been searching the forums this morning and I dont know what to do. Im a bit dissapointed

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Upgraded from Heron to Intrepid went great! Kudos to all for the hard work! Intrepid is stable enough, just some niggling problems at the moment.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by andreselsuave View Post
    I updated last night and had some errors with some of the packages. I can get to the users selection screen now but when I log into any of them, the Desktop won't load (flat blue screen and mouse). I've been searching the forums this morning and I dont know what to do. Im a bit dissapointed

same boat here. I have desklets running and can see processes going in, but no icons or menus.

Help appreciated

Beans

I have the same problem as the two users above me. When I reboot, the user screen comes up, but when I log in, it goes to an orange screen, but x/desktop won't load. I try to failsafe gnome, but still no go. I can failsafe the terminal of course and access some programs from there. Is there a fix for this yet?

Beans

thuja.forevergreen Re: Upgrading Ubuntu to Intrepid Ibex from Hardy Heron
    I have the same problem as the two users above me. When I reboot, the user screen comes up, but when I log in, it goes to an orange screen, but x/desktop won't load. I try to failsafe gnome, but still no go. I can failsafe the terminal of course and access some programs from there. Is there a fix for this yet?
    gibbylinks Re: Upgrading Ubuntu to Intrepid Ibex from Hardy Heron

same boat here. I have desklets running and can see processes going in, but no icons or menus.

Help appreciated
    andreselsuave Re: Upgrading Ubuntu to Intrepid Ibex from Hardy Heron

1) What graphics cards are you using? This is most likely a graphic card problem.

2) What are your system specs?
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Sef View Post
    1) What graphics cards are you using? This is most likely a graphic card problem.

2) What are your system specs?

See below

1) Inno3D 6600GT 128mb (Nvidia chipset)

2)
    Gigabyte GA7N400 Pro
    AMD XP3000+
    3x 512mb DDR400 PC3200 RAM
    80gb Barracuda (SATA 0)
    160b Maxtor (SATA 1)
    60gb WD600AB(IDE 3)
    Sony CRX230ED(IDE 1)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thumbs down Re: Upgrading Ubuntu to Intrepid Ibex from Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by thuja.forevergreen View Post
    After weeks! of thrashing around Alpha's (some ran, some didn't) & Beta the "Intrepid orange screen" fix for me on this IBM Thinkpad R31 Celeron 32 bit Intel graphics was:

Boot in recovery mode
    Select command line prompt
    sudo apt-get remove compiz
    sudo apt-get remove compiz-core

then the desktop ran. Original Alpha 5 compiz works on the Thinkpad, which is dual booted, however Alpha 6 & Beta compiz don't.

Sometimes booting goes to command line login prompt, so then I log in and do a
    sudo startx
    which works. Since I'm all about applications, doing full screen internet, full screen Office, full screen Picasa, ... the "desk top eye candy" that compiz offers is of no use to me.

I don't have any way of knowing however it seems to me that compiz is all about fancy effects by playing tricks with graphics adapters & drivers, and getting into trouble with the wide variety of hardware and software out here.

Tell me all over again why compiz has to be installed by default whether I want or use it or not?

Jerry

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Anyone tried an upgrade of Hardy running in WUBI on Vista?

Beans
    Distro

My problem was nothing to do with the x-server. For some reason scrollkeeper had un-installed which caused a load of packages not to configure correctly.

I couldn't see this at first because every time I ran apt-get the error messages disappeared of the top off the screen. It's only when I did "apt-get |more" that I could read the messages.

Any way I installed scrollkeeper and all the other packages then configured correctly, so I'm now up and running.

Last edited by gibbylinks; October 14th, 2008 at 07:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Beans

Is there an Ethernet fix available. upgrade last night left me with no network and no GDM.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast