Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgrading Ubuntu to Intrepid Ibex from Hardy Heron

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Question Re: Upgrading Ubuntu to Intrepid Ibex from Hardy Heron

I fresh installed Ibex on Hardy with a separate Home. So all my data is intact.
    I am really very impressed with the new dark theme.

But sometimes I am running into an issue where Ibex doesn't let Ubuntu boot. The slider just gets frozen at around 20% and the only option I have is to Hard Reset.
    I tried restarting, but that doesn't help. But after several trials it sometime goes through. But this is not what it should be doing. I hope this bug has been reported and the devs are aware of it.

Is there any quick solution for this prob...anyone..???

Thanks
    Ubuntu Rocks, Ibex rocks even more...!!!

Anurag Bansal
    http://www.knowliz.com
    Knowliz.com
    Ubuntu user # 20905, Linux User # 467410,
    Dell Inspiron 1505, 2GB RAM, Dual Boot with Vista.

Beans

Re: Upgrading Ubuntu to Intrepid Ibex from Hardy Heron

I just tried to do a clean install of 8.10, after using 8.04 on my thinkpad t61p. It was a disaster. Not only did I have the GigE problem so no ethernet

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/263555

but I also had the "Wireless event too big" problem with my ipw4965 card

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/267063.

So no internet connection at all!! I'm just doing a reinstall of 8.04.

My advice for owners of this laptop is to wait till the RC version appears and the bugs have been fixed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I just tried to do a clean install of 8.10, after using 8.04 on my thinkpad t61p. It was a disaster. Not only did I have the GigE problem so no ethernet

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/263555

but I also had the "Wireless event too big" problem with my ipw4965 card

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/267063.

So no internet connection at all!! I'm just doing a reinstall of 8.04.

My advice for owners of this laptop is to wait till the RC version appears and the bugs have been fixed
    Here's the GigE sticky about that problem. Actually it is in the rc version too. Within a few days, a newer version (2.6.27-5.8) will be in the repositories and the problem is fixed in it.

Update: The 2.6.27-5.8 kernel is now in the repositories.
    Last edited by Sef; October 7th, 2008 at 12:43 PM. Reason: update
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

everything is working great for me, its faster than hardy so far. But. I cant get desktop effects enabled. Running a ATI Radeon X1600, any ideas?

Beans

Stumbled onto the availability of this beta at the end of my weekend. Call me brave or fool-hearty, but I first downloaded both the live CD file and the Alternate CD file, then, ran the online update routine, and all is working well. If figured if the upgrade worked, great. If it didn't, well, there are enough kinks in my XP dual boot that a system rebuild would not be the end of the world. What I guess I will miss is the sure convergence that I was realizing in solving why 8.04 would randomly lock up on me. Hopefully, that convergence is moot with the new beta - we'll see.

One thing that threw me off was re-establishing my wireless connection. The old iwconfig command appears to show valid associations, but, apparently, you cannot use the command line in a terminal to establish a wireless adapter associaton - it would not work for me, and the old Network menu choice is no longer present under System-Administration.

Took me quite a while (5 minutes or less) to discover the icon at the top right of the screen that allows you to graphically browse available connections and to choose one and set it up.

I would criticize the developers for not warning me about this, except that I haven't spent the time reading the documentation in order to ascertain that I didn't miss the warning.

The upgrade process went flawlessly. I did read some little blurb about a minor performance hit that I suffer from upgrading rather than doing a fresh install. Would appreciate if someone could clarify that point for me.

Can't say that I've seen much of this new version, yet, but, so far, I see nothing that evokes other than a positive feeling about it.

Caruso

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

i just upgraded from hardy to intrepid; all went well. The only problem is the shutdown problem i had before (would freeze after "Will now restart" came on ).

probably a networking issue like before, but that's not a big problem. Other than that, Intrepid is running pretty good on my Toshiba Satellite

i like how you have a Quick Search in Synaptic now, and the theme is pretty awesome too. Kudos to the developers
    Welcome to the world of Open Source!!!
    Linux User #471120 Ubuntu User #21997
    Jaunty Jackalope 9.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

I had some great problems upgrading my girlfriend's laptop to Intrepid Beta. She had some minor problems, so we decided to try the new beta. I'm with Intrepid since early pre-alpha, so I thought everything will be ok.
    However the upgrade manager spew some nasty errors while upgrading and in no time libc6 was corrupted.

I tried booting the live CD, but it turns out there are some major problems with the disk drive drivers. It kept spilling buffer I/O errors about sr0 (I guess this is some raid device, probably the cd-rom). This is on a Dell Vostro 1310 laptop. I was able to boot using the alternate cd, chroot, then install the Intrepid libc6 packages by using the LC_ALL=C prefix. The packages I had to download from another computer.

After that a reboot and numerous dpkg -i --force-all installations of separate packages, until dpkg --configure -a ran and then apt-get -f install.

I'm just sharing, in case anybody runs into something similar.
    Fitter Happier

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I'm just sharing, in case anybody runs into something similar.
    Thank you for sharing that.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by zbrox View Post
    spew some nasty errors while upgrading and in no time libc6 was corrupted.
    There is a bug filed about libc6 and this is important to track down.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...kg/+bug/278804

Thread about this:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=939129

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

It looks like the same problem but not quite. In my case the dist upgrade failed on numerous packages, including the libc6 one and the errors seem similar to those.
    After that however nothing was able to start, giving an error about the command needing GLIBC_2.8. I couldn't even run ls in the command prompt. And when the computer was shut down it wasn't able to start up.
    I'll post a link to my entry here, just in case, but maybe the problem is different... I don't know...
    Fitter Happier

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast