Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgrading Ubuntu to Intrepid Ibex from Hardy Heron

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Upgrading Ubuntu to Intrepid Ibex from Hardy Heron

First, before upgrading read these:

a) run the update manager to make sure that all the updates have been applied to your system.

b) read the release notes.

c) Read the other stickes in this forum.

d) Back up all your data. There is no guarantee that all will go well.

e) Backing up with rsync - tutorial links. (see post #20)

f) Remember that this software is still beta at this time. It is not for production machines.

g) For more information about upgrading to Intrepid Ibex, click here.

h) Test the Live CD for a while to make sure that your hardware will work with it. Use all the applications that you will use when you install it.

i) Have a copy of Hardy Heron, in case the upgrade or clean install fails. That way you can reinstall it and have a working system.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________

Second, this upgrade only applies to Ubuntu and Xubuntu Hardy Heron, 8.04.

- Only upgrade this way:

To upgrade from Ubuntu 8.04, press Alt+F2 and type in "update-manager -d" (without the quotes) into the command box. Update Manager should open up and tell you: New distribution release '8.10' is available. Click Upgrade and follow the on-screen instructions.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________

Third, this upgrade only applies to Kubuntu Hardy Heron, 8.04:

Open the Run Command dialog by pressing Alt+F2.

Type kdesu "adept_manager --dist-upgrade-devel" in the command box and press the OK button.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Fourth, this upgrade applies only to the alternate cd:

1. Download and burn the alternate installation CD.
    2. Insert it into your CD-ROM drive.
    3. A dialog will be displayed offering you the opportunity to upgrade using that CD.
    4. Follow the on-screen instructions.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Fifth, for a network upgrade, click here and go to network Upgrade for either Desktops or Servers.

Sixth, to do a clean install instead of an upgrade, click here.
    Last edited by Sef; October 7th, 2008 at 12:52 PM. Reason: updates
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Upgrading Ubuntu to Intrepid Ibex from Hardy Heron

Just wanted to say that Intrepid Is very stable, no problems other than with Epiphany webkit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Smile Re: Upgrading Ubuntu to Intrepid Ibex from Hardy Heron

Thanks a lot.
    I m doing a clean install and the 'New Human' theme looks really good.

Cheers
    Anurag Bansal
    http://www.knowliz.com
    Knowliz.com
    Ubuntu user # 20905, Linux User # 467410,
    Dell Inspiron 1505, 2GB RAM, Dual Boot with Vista.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Sef, I should also say, Test an Intrepid LiveCD first to make sure all your hardware still works in this beta release. I'd hate to apply 3 hours of irreversible upgrades to find out that my hard drive no longer gets detected and I get stuck at a boot panic
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Sef, I should also say, Test an Intrepid LiveCD first to make sure all your hardware still works in this beta release. I'd hate to apply 3 hours of irreversible upgrades to find out that my hard drive no longer gets detected and I get stuck at a boot panic
    Added. Thank you for the excellent suggestion.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'm ready to plunge in to Intrepid Ibex but I have a minor concern about the ethernet "corruption" issue.

Has the kernel in the beta release been updated to fix this yet? My hardware may or may not be affected by this, but I'd like to be sure before diving in...

Thanks in advance!
    Dimension E520 : 2.66GHz Core2Quad : 8GiB 800MHz DDR2 RAM : EVGA 9800GT 512MiB : WD 300G VelociRaptor HD
    Sony VAIO SR290 : 2.8GHz Core2Duo : 6GiB 800MHz DDR2 RAM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

In the beta, the affected driver was disabled. It will not load on systems susceptible to this problem, but that also means no wired networking. A kernel update arriving VERY SOON that you can apply to Intrepid via Update Manager will turn the driver back on, with a fix incorporated.
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by jdong View Post
    In the beta, the affected driver was disabled. It will not load on systems susceptible to this problem, but that also means no wired networking. A kernel update arriving VERY SOON that you can apply to Intrepid via Update Manager will turn the driver back on, with a fix incorporated.
    Thanks for the info! I'm downloading the beta now, so I guess I'll know if I'm affected when I boot the LiveCD. If ethernet works, no problemo, if not, I wait for the new kernel.

I'm downloading directly from the server at about 100 KB/sec and torrenting at the same time. Transmission seems to have stalled on the download after getting about 100 MB (shows "none"), but I have 12 connected peers being seeded at 48KiB/sec.

Update: Bummer...no ethernet with the beta LiveCD. Guess I have the vulnerable chipset.
    Last edited by WiFi Ed; October 3rd, 2008 at 07:25 PM. Reason: update
    Dimension E520 : 2.66GHz Core2Quad : 8GiB 800MHz DDR2 RAM : EVGA 9800GT 512MiB : WD 300G VelociRaptor HD
    Sony VAIO SR290 : 2.8GHz Core2Duo : 6GiB 800MHz DDR2 RAM

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by WiFi Ed View Post
    Thanks for the info! I'm downloading the beta now, so I guess I'll know if I'm affected when I boot the LiveCD. If ethernet works, no problemo, if not, I wait for the new kernel.

I'm downloading directly from the server at about 100 KB/sec and torrenting at the same time. Transmission seems to have stalled on the download after getting about 100 MB (shows "none"), but I have 12 connected peers being seeded at 48KiB/sec.

Update: Bummer...no ethernet with the beta LiveCD. Guess I have the vulnerable chipset.
    Or maybe you have to reinstall your drivers?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by WiFi Ed View Post
    The fixed/re-enabled driver was already uploaded yesterday; should be a matter of hours before it is available as an update. Of course that doesn't help if you only have ethernet....

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast