Thread: Ram question?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ram question?

Check out this link:

http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_ubuntu

and build yourself a custom kernel that will use all of your ram. Or install the 64bit version.

Jim

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Check out this link:

http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_ubuntu

and build yourself a custom kernel that will use all of your ram. Or install the 64bit version.

Jim
    yah ill prolly go back to the 64 bit V, its just alot harder then the 32 bit one, lol well thx anyways! i appreciate ur help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Dude, I'm telling you, you do not need to address all 4 gigabytes of RAM with Ubuntu.

Just for you, I ran a test: Could I fill up all my 2 gigabytes of RAM? It took 43 programs, each loaded with a significant amount of data (for instance, image files in the image editors). In fact, my computer crashed before hitting the 2 gigabyte mark, because my graphics card didn't have enough onboard memory to render all the windows!

Dude, you're never going to hit 3 gigabytes of RAM use on Ubuntu, much less 4. If you want to install 64-bit, which is the proper solution to the problem, then go ahead. But fiddling around with PAE on server kernels is the difficult solution to a problem you'll never run into.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Is there a reason why you're not using 64bit?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12