Thread: [SOLVED] Major Ubuntu 8 Install Problems

Beans

[SOLVED] Major Ubuntu 8 Install Problems

I've posted in several other forums but I'm having issues with different versions of Ubuntu and I'm affraid my problems have been getting the wrong attention.

I've attatched the installation log files to this post and stated my problems early on in the post.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=932138

Here is another case where my Unetbootin crashed mid-install.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=936004

Web installation solutions seem to be a bit difficult for me for several reasons; one of them being my location (Beijing, China), that I'm behind a community router, and my sometimes-unstable connection.

I'll state that I am fairly new to Ubuntu and Linux but not new to computers in general. I haven't done any extensive reading, other than parts of the installation guide and quite a few posts relating to my earlier problems.

If anyone has any input or would be willing to look at the log files I posted that would be great.

Edit:
    Finally installed Ubuntu. Because I'm on Windows XP, A program called VCDControlTool(http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...olpanel_21.exe) helped alot.
    Last edited by dividenot; October 3rd, 2008 at 01:23 PM.

Beans

Re: Major Ubuntu 8 Install Problems

Hi mate ,sorry to hear your having probs,are all the attempts on the same machine,maybe your hardware is faulty/unsupported,so far I've installed ubuntu on 7 machines(two of which where laptops and only one pc with an x-fi sound card gave trouble,)maybe you should order a cd/dvd if your connection is unreliable , maybe your getting corruption on your downloads.

Beans

That would be a drag if my files were being currupted as I'm downloading them.

I would certainly go for a cd/dvd install if I had a cd or dvd player.

My only options for external media is four usb ports and my eithernet port. I'm planning to upgrade or perchase another machine.

That would be a drag if my files were being currupted as I'm downloading them.
    Once downloaded, do you md5sum them?
    Last edited by Sef; October 3rd, 2008 at 12:17 AM. Reason: link added
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans

Md5sum checked iso file. Hashes are the same.

Got any info on the log file? They're attatched to the post at the first link above. But I'll attatch them here too.
    Attached Files Attached Files