Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Ubuntu Server for an Absoloute Beginner

Beans

Question [SOLVED] Ubuntu Server for an Absoloute Beginner

Greetings good people,

I've been using Ubuntu for a couple of months now. I love it. But I'm still a beginner, as I have problems using the command lines.

I've just installed Ubuntu Server 8.04, on a test machine.

It was with great disappointment that I discovered the command line interface. I was expecting a GUI.

I now stuck.

I stress again that I'm a complete noob. I'm not used to working without a GUI.

I am hoping that there is a GUI that I can get access to. If not, I guess I'm going to have to start learning how to work with a terminal interface.

Is there a GUI?

If not, should I try a different version of a Linux Server that does have a GUI?

Can anyone recommend a place where I can learn the basics of using the terminal?

As I'm not good (and not happy) with using command lines, should I forget about using Linux?

Thanks everyone

D
    Mental note: SunnyRabbiera says "remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Ubuntu Server for an Absoloute Beginner

Really, the solution here is to learn how to use the terminal. If you expect to have a functional server, you should expect to be using the terminal.

You could add a GUI to Ubuntu server... Check out this post for example:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...server-463053/
    P4HT 3.6ghz/G31T-M motherboard/2 GB DDR2 RAM/nVidia 9600GT 512MB PCI-E/WD5000AAKS 500GB/ST3750528AS 750GB/Ubuntu 10.04/Desktop/Server

Beans

I'm sorry, but you don't *have to* restrict yourself to the terminal to have a server, especially if it's a home server or you are a beginner. That's ridiculous. Sure, there are a lot of more advanced things that can't be done in a GUI, but let's be fair here.

desai, you can have a GUI very quickly:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install xorg gdm gnome
    If you don't have a very powerful server, you might install xfce4, fluxbox, jwm, or some other lightweight wm instead of gnome.

You should also look at webmin or ebox for administering your services. They are both web-based guis, so you can just pull them up in a browser from your workstation to administer your server.

That said, it is a good idea to get comfortable with the command line and config files, especially if this is going to be a production server in a work environment. But ease yourself into it, by all means.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lykwydchykyn is absolutely correct.
    P4HT 3.6ghz/G31T-M motherboard/2 GB DDR2 RAM/nVidia 9600GT 512MB PCI-E/WD5000AAKS 500GB/ST3750528AS 750GB/Ubuntu 10.04/Desktop/Server

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    I'm sorry, but you don't *have to* restrict yourself to the terminal to have a server, especially if it's a home server or you are a beginner. That's ridiculous. Sure, there are a lot of more advanced things that can't be done in a GUI, but let's be fair here.

desai, you can have a GUI very quickly:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install xorg gdm gnome
    If you don't have a very powerful server, you might install xfce4, fluxbox, jwm, or some other lightweight wm instead of gnome.

You should also look at webmin or ebox for administering your services. They are both web-based guis, so you can just pull them up in a browser from your workstation to administer your server.

That said, it is a good idea to get comfortable with the command line and config files, especially if this is going to be a production server in a work environment. But ease yourself into it, by all means.
    1,00,000 thanks! I'm so relieved, you have no idea!

Right now I just need to learn how to install software and scripts on this test server. But in the future I will have to maintain one in a professional environment, so I will try to learn the terminal code

For now, I have installed gnome, as you recommended

I've restarted, next I need to know how to access the GUI.

D

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mrtomservo View Post
    Really, the solution here is to learn how to use the terminal. If you expect to have a functional server, you should expect to be using the terminal.

You could add a GUI to Ubuntu server... Check out this post for example:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...server-463053/
    Thanks

I've installed gnome. I really am not comfortable using a terminal. So it's going to be really hard for me. But I will try.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dESAI View Post
    Greetings good people,

I've been using Ubuntu for a couple of months now. I love it. But I'm still a beginner, as I have problems using the command lines.

I've just installed Ubuntu Server 8.04, on a test machine.

It was with great disappointment that I discovered the command line interface. I was expecting a GUI.

I now stuck.

I stress again that I'm a complete noob. I'm not used to working without a GUI.

I am hoping that there is a GUI that I can get access to. If not, I guess I'm going to have to start learning how to work with a terminal interface.

Is there a GUI?

If not, should I try a different version of a Linux Server that does have a GUI?

Can anyone recommend a place where I can learn the basics of using the terminal?

As I'm not good (and not happy) with using command lines, should I forget about using Linux?

Thanks everyone

D
    Learning the command line is (for some) a fun and rewarding challenge.

If you would rather not be bothered with the CLI, you can always install the "Desktop" version.

The desktop version is (dare I say it) Windows-like (i.e. it has a graphical interface, mouse support, familiar programs like Firefox, etc..)

Linux / Ubuntu SERVER is an OS designed for... servers. In addition to being internally optimized for memory and disk handling, server also lacks a GUI (which is worthless to a server).

Get and try Desktop Ubuntu... I think you'll like it.

-- Roger
    Gentlemen may prefer Blonds, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

The main reason I encoruage the command line on a server is 99.99% percent of your configuration is just editing text files or access a web based gui, and 99% of your tuts on how to configure a server will be giving you command line instructions.

Hence not much of a benefit to using a gui

learn how to navigate the file system, copy, move files from a commandline and learn how to use vi are the main things you will want to learn.

nano will work but I've never seen a linux system that didn't have vi installed.

btw vi (vim) and nano are both commandline text editors, nano being easyier vi(m) being advanced.

With that being said feel free to run your server in anyway you please, this is just my advice

cheers.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jerome1232 View Post
    The main reason I encoruage the command line on a server is 99.99% percent of your configuration is just editing text files or access a web based gui, and 99% of your tuts on how to configure a server will be giving you command line instructions.
    I personally love the command line. I come from the days of home built wirewrapped computers, Commodore PET, Radio Shack Color Computer on up to today.

I learned computers on a command line, so I am comfortable there.

Some people, however, just want a DESKTOP that runs what they click on.

One of the reasons that MS Windows is so popular is that "any old dummy" (no insult intended to anyone) can use the computer without so much as knowing how to type "DIR" on a command line.

Lots of us love the command line... others are scared to death of it.

Ubuntu (and Linux in general) needs really to have two versions... a "hacker's delight" command line server and a "Runs out of the box GUI desktop".

In the world of Windows, what's the ratio of GUI users to command line users? Probably 99% GUI users... and Linux needs to appeal to the majority if it ever wants to break out of it's niche.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blonds, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Learning the command line is (for some) a fun and rewarding challenge.

If you would rather not be bothered with the CLI, you can always install the "Desktop" version.

The desktop version is (dare I say it) Windows-like (i.e. it has a graphical interface, mouse support, familiar programs like Firefox, etc..)

Linux / Ubuntu SERVER is an OS designed for... servers. In addition to being internally optimized for memory and disk handling, server also lacks a GUI (which is worthless to a server).

Get and try Desktop Ubuntu... I think you'll like it.

-- Roger
    I've got 8.04 installed on my desktop, I love it! But I need a test server I can use for developing and testing a php script called Clip-bucket. The programmer will need remote access to the server.

I'm not a programmer, so I really need a GUI.

But it sounds like there is a GUI, that will meet my needs. I installed gnome, now I just need to know how to launch the GUI

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast