Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Skypephone s2 as Modem?

kingofswords is offline Oops! My Coffee Cup is empty.
    Beans

Re: Skypephone s2 as Modem?

omg finally sorted out my internet(after days of messing and headbangin). a couple of days ago.
    for some reason karmic and mint 9 restricted my net speed so switched to 10.04(thought i read 10.10 doesnt work with s2)?

i nearly fainted i was so delighted,for some reason i dont even have to unmount and sudo cmd it does it all automaticly when i plug in phone.

i have been disconnected a lot today and had downtime, i guess this must be 3 network thou.

btw the way if you get 1614/1000 for the usb ids..cant you just type those numbers in?

anyway thx for all your help, really appreiate it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I did a few speed tests although the results are not entirely conclusive
    I tried to maintain the same position in the house (upstairs in our none too good Three UK coverage area).

First I tried a USB dongle modem (Huawei E169G)
    This works in Linux without any need for drivers etc you just have to follow the wizard to set up yur operator details - just the once (and luckily for me it just defaults to 3 as that's even lower in the ASCII alphabet than A). After you do that, as long as the dongle is plugged in it appears as an option in Network Manager. In Windows the virtualCD thing runs and installs a big friendly window thing with a connect button that does the same job (in a more intrusive way)

Speed Results:
    Windows7: ~1Mb/s
    Linux (Mint10/Ubuntu10.10): ~1Mb/s

So in this case the OS made no difference - tallying with my understanding that the phone/modem does all the work and the OS is irrelevant.

Next I tried the Skype phone, and got some very different speed results.

Linux connected by bluetooth using Blueman as previously discussed: 0.5Mb/s
    (not able to connect by USB due to inability to get the correct USB ID as previously discussed)
    Windows7 connected by USB after running the virtualCD that installed another, different big window thing: 2.5Mb/s - alot faster
    (not able to connect by bluetooth because I dont know how to do that)

So yes I also saw a big difference in speed between Linux and Windows - but only on the Skypehone. Unfortunately for the test, the connection to the phone was different between OSs, and it may be that bluetooth is the slowest link in the chain.

The difference in speed between the Dongle Modem and the Skypephone is probably simply because the phone has a higher spec radio than the dongle.

I really must get the USB connection to Skypephone sorted out to complete this. However I maintain that the phone or dongle does all the work to connect to the mobile network and the OS is irrelevant. Bluetooth and USB are basically the same thing as far as the PC is concerned.

That modprobe thing is also clunky. I am sure we could do better than this!
    Last edited by spegru; April 13th, 2011 at 09:00 AM.

Beans
    Distro

For some reason I just typed my previous answer before noticing that you (kingofswords) had already responded!

I'd be interested whether you are sure that Mint9 restricted speed: Was all the hardware and the position the same? Mint9 is based on 10.04 so they should be the same for this.

The problem with the sudo modprobe thing in Mint10/10.10 is that if the correct USB ID is not visible to the system it is no good sending the commend to a device that does not exist!

So you managed to get it working in 10.04! I suppose you get the correct USB ID? I wonder if my problem is hardware related? I am also running 64bit - I wonder if that matters.....?

I also wonder if a newer Bluetooth3 dongle would help speed things up....

Beans
    Distro

I just tried the speed test again with a Bluetooth 3 adaptor.
    I got exactly the same speed test as before.
    However, whether it was really running as Bluetooth 3 depends on what kind of Bluetooth is in the phone..

So I really need to get the Wrong USB ID problem sorted and/or to know how to to bluetooth tethering windows in order to get a proper understanding o f the dramatic speed difference

How does Windows get round the VirtualCD problem?

kingofswords is offline Oops! My Coffee Cup is empty.
    Beans

hi

really enjoying linux now i got it sorted...just installed wine which is a great prog.

im a linux newbie so dont take y advice as gospel(althout these problems have probably taught me a thing or2).

its wierd as 9.1(karmic) slowed net down and really strange that i tried mint 9(10.04) and did same thing but when i tried ubuntu 10.04 it sorted problem out so i dont really know other than perhaps try out ubunutu! in fact i think linux even speeds things up a little as i was getting 2.8 at one point last night and im usually 2meg give or take a little. read of ppl actually getting 3-4meg(lucky £$%&).
    my internet has actually vastly improved since switched to payg ayce as well as not nearly as many disconnection and downtime, although alas my s2 is on its way out(as i said b4 screen broken) and it need to be heated up in front of heater for a hr or so b4 it connects(lose wire or s'thing). so just use as a modem at moment.

spegru some times i get 1614|0407 others i get 1614|1000 for the usb ids i dont think it makes difference. but i dont need to type modprobe cmd in so never check anymore.i presume you could just type lsusb b4 typing to get correct numbers.

spegru ? have you tried connecting in wine? perhaps that will give different results? i installed s2 driver earlier and it worked.

good luck james

Beans

All of your replies sound really hard work!!! the easyest way i have found with most 3g dongles and the ZTE phones after you have set up the vpn connection to 3internet all you have to do is go to places, right click on the 3conect icon select eject, then the dongle will connect straight away, that is if you set it to connect automatically, if not just click the network icon and hit connectl, hope this helps its really easy, but for some reason this does not seam to work with the s2 skypephone. well it may im just really impatient and got bored.

Beans
    Distro

Weirdly perhaps I am still trying to do modem connection via cable several months later. Yes bluetooth works but it's a bit flaky

I am now using Mint 12 - based on Ubuntu 11.10

Key to this is the USB ID
    when I lsusb I get - 1614:1000 which is the virtual CD
    I cant seem to eject the Virtual CD no matter what I do

However some time ago I was using Mint 8 - based on Ubuntu 9.10 I think

when I boot into that (even today), I get the usb ID - 1614:0407 - which is the modem - at least about half of the time that I connect

Why should the USB ID depend on the Linux Version - and therefore how can I change it?

Beans
    Distro

Made some good progress with this

I have XP installed in virtualbox so I gave it access to the skypephone by adding it from the list of possible USB interfaces.

When I did this the USB ID changed from 1614:1000 to 1614:0407 which is the one I want!
    I did not install the windows software from the virtual CD. In fact that option did not even appear so far. So this seems to be a pure windows thing.

I noticed that if the skypephone was already plugged in when the VirtualXp was started, this did not happen, but when plugged in when the virtualXP was already running, then it did. The XP made two noises - Bong Bing, followed by Bing Bong (If you can understand that!) - does that sound like it was detected and then disconnected?

After the USB ID changed I can close the VirtualXP and the USB ID stays as 1614:0407.

Then I added the new USB ID using
    sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x1614 product=0x0407

Voila! The phone is now available as a usb modem from network manager!
    It works - that is how I am posting this!

OK so now for finding out what windows did to achieve the change to the USB ID. I dont really want to have to use virtualbox xp every time. I am wondering if wireshark can tell us something useful
    Last edited by spegru; February 6th, 2012 at 12:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro

A bit of an update

I just set this up again on another PC and this time I noticed that the Skypephone installsheild wizard did in fact run - automatically. It must have been hidden behind another window when I did it before. It was after this that the 'ding dong' happened. therefoe it looks like it is something specifically installed rather than being purely windows after all.

By the way I also had to add myself to the vboxusers group before I could add access any USB devices from virtualbox

Oh yes, for completeness (although this may not be of interest to ubuntu users) I also added an extra admin application before I could access the groups from Mint 12 - like this: sudo apt-get install gnome-system-tools . Another way of doing it is to type: sudo gpasswd -a USERNAME vboxusers

Beans
    Distro

Since I'm on Mint really I'm now moving over to mint forums on this matter

You can find the thread here
    http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopi...538444#p538444

However you might be interested to see the latest so I'm double posting this...

I used wireshark yesterday to snoop the messages coming out of windows. XP was running in virtualbox. To be honest this was easier than having a physical XP machine!

It seems XP mounts (Dong Ding) and then unmounts (Ding Dong) the virtual CD before the correct ISB ID is shown.
    Wireshark (which has to be run as root) is able to see all the messages from the selected USB port. After some experimentation I also used a filter to show only scsi commands.

Well the command that seems to permanently eject the virtual CD is this one:

805 9.990000 host 40.5 USBMS SCSI Command: 0x2b LUN:0x00.
    (This is how wireshark shows it although it may be binary in fact as there is a second window - I am no wireshark expert....)

Anyone know how to get linux to do that?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345