Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advice on presenting Linux to Mac users at a LUG

Beans

Re: Advice on presenting Linux to Mac users at a LUG

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsDerek85 View Post
    iTunes is also free and is better.
    Obviously an opinion. I hate listening to music with iTunes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I say show them the strengths of Linux. Show them how much power you can put into a linux system but do not over do it. There is nothing more annoying than people flanting how much better their OS is better than yours. I just say show the strengths. Linux excells in FOSS and being Customizable. Also, show them that Linux can be made to run under a variety of hardware. I can get a computer to run on a really old computer (about 400MHz and 256MB of ram) and it boots in about 1min 30 seconds. Then with XFCE, there is amost not lag. The *boxes are even more friendly to these older systems because they also are light weight.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Show them audacious and amarok and banshee and rythmbox and xmms, vlc, mplayer, run them all at once. Show them they have choices, all free. Put a youtube video up and spin the cube, that always gets em.

Ask if there are any musicians among them, show them ardour and rosegarden and hydrogen all synced together through jack. Ask if there are any dj's, show them djplay, stream djplay to the school network and play it on another machine across the room.

Keep telling them it is all free. They are students, free is important.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by howefield View Post
    In terminal type, gconf-editor

Navigate to apps > metacity > general and double click on button_layout

Reverse the order as you wish. The colon seperates the left from the right side of the title bar.
    Yup, that's what I did in Gnome.

Here's what mine looks like:
    Code:
    close,minimize,maximize:menu
    If you want to copy it, just hilight it, and middle click in the field mentioned above to paste it.

KDE is fixed graphically somewhere in the Window preferences, and I think xfce is the same. icewm is done in a text file with a text editor, but I've never had any problems finding it. Unfortunately, at the moment, I have none of those environments installed, so I can't give specifics on how to do it.

-Jon

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleClicker View Post
    All of these things are extremely important to mac users, whether they are aware of it or not, and they are far more mac like in GNOME than they are in KDE.
    I have to agree with that point. I keep wanting to like KDE and have it running in X11 on my Mac, but I keep coming back to Gnome in Ubuntu. However, xfce is also more Mac-like in its simplicity and accessibility--simplicity with accessibility is what I call elegance. xfce has it. I'm still considering installing the xubuntu destkop on my Wind, but haven't done it yet, mainly because I wanted to see what Gnome could do on a decently powered computer (My Mac is an 8 yr old Pismo) with Compiz.

The more I think about it, the more I suspect that running xfce in your demo may be the wisest choice. Any other people experienced with Macs and xfce have an opinion on this?

-Jon

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by joninkrakow View Post
    I have to agree with that point. I keep wanting to like KDE and have it running in X11 on my Mac, but I keep coming back to Gnome in Ubuntu. However, xfce is also more Mac-like in its simplicity and accessibility--simplicity with accessibility is what I call elegance. xfce has it. I'm still considering installing the xubuntu destkop on my Wind, but haven't done it yet, mainly because I wanted to see what Gnome could do on a decently powered computer (My Mac is an 8 yr old Pismo) with Compiz.

The more I think about it, the more I suspect that running xfce in your demo may be the wisest choice. Any other people experienced with Macs and xfce have an opinion on this?

-Jon
    Xfce is the perfect combination of "user-friendly" and lightweight. It is very simple on the surface, but can be completely customized with a little work.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123