Thread: Getting Ubuntu onto a CD-R

Beans

Getting Ubuntu onto a CD-R

I need to get Ubuntu onto my 700MB CD-R and onto a computer i just had fixed. my HDD exploded and need a new one, took it in to check if anything else was wrong and then when they were putting a new HDD in they said they couldnt load any OS onto it because it didnt have a Product Key. I now need to know how to get Ubuntu onto my new Comp. PS: What does a Comp do with no OS on it?? cause im not sure if mine is Broke still or just needs an OS.

Beans

Re: Getting Ubuntu onto a CD-R

you could download one of those classic "OS on a floppy disk" if you need a stop gap measure.

with no OS then after the computer POSTS it will do nothing if i`m correct. There will be nothing in the boot record.

You can get ubuntu CDs in alot of ways. I think they`ll send them to you, and if your at/near any university campus in the world the CS clubs usually give them away for free like they are candy.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Gevarah View Post
    I need to get Ubuntu onto my 700MB CD-R and onto a computer i just had fixed. my HDD exploded and need a new one, took it in to check if anything else was wrong and then when they were putting a new HDD in they said they couldnt load any OS onto it because it didnt have a Product Key. I now need to know how to get Ubuntu onto my new Comp. PS: What does a Comp do with no OS on it?? cause im not sure if mine is Broke still or just needs an OS.
    There's not a lot a computer with no OS can do....although the BIOS knows something about using hardware (disks, keyboards, screens, etc), it doesn't know a lot about files or running programs.

If you want a copy of Ubuntu on CD you can always order one from www.ubuntu.com
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

Ok, thanks, im downloading Ubuntu right now and can i just put it on a CD-R with InfraRecorder? then insert the disk into my OSless comp and run it?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Gevarah View Post
    Ok, thanks, im downloading Ubuntu right now and can i just put it on a CD-R with InfraRecorder? then insert the disk into my OSless comp and run it?
    Sounds like you're on the right track. Don't forget to check the download for errors, and to burn the ISO file as a disk image. Common wisdom also suggests to use a slow burn speed to help avoid errors.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog