Thread: Very slow file transfer rate USB drive

Beans

Cool Very slow file transfer rate USB drive

I have used my Iriver MP3 player many times on windows, it works as an external hard drive, you just drag and drop the files between windows.

When I try and put data onto my hard drive from my Mp3 player it takes about 10minuites for about 1 CD, which is just obsurd as it takes just 10seconds for me on windows.

The wierd thing is I have a USB pen which I moved some files off another computer to this one, the transfer speed was great but then my MP3 player which also works like an external hard drive and which I have never had problems on any computer ever with is just really really slow on Ubuntu.

I am really stumped as what to do being a new user to Linux and Ubuntu

I would be very grateful for some help as would really like to get my music from my mp3 without spending days moving it all over at 800kbps or less

Thanks in advance
    Chris

EDIT: I forgot to mention it was working fine earlier, and just slowed down to a halt, kinda weird.
    I have tried restarting my system and mp3 also.
    Also the transfer starts out fast but slows down but I just did 1 file and it transfered at normal speed... hmmm most odd, yet it goes really slow again on the rest of my files :S
    Last edited by homicidalpossum; October 2nd, 2008 at 01:05 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Very slow file transfer rate USB drive

Quote Originally Posted by homicidalpossum View Post
    When I try and put data onto my hard drive from my Mp3 player it takes about 10minuites for about 1 CD, which is just obsurd as it takes just 10seconds for me on windows.
    I am having the exact same sort of performance issues with my Sansa View MP3 player. Not sure what's up, still researching whay might cause it.

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

i have the same problem too with DVD burning and USB flash drive writing

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Is the mp3 player auto mounting? When you plug it in does nautilus show the contents of the mp3 player? This might help:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/177235