Thread: Installing Ubuntu Server on a Mediasmart

Beans

Installing Ubuntu Server on a Mediasmart

I was wondering, I was considering getting this HP MediaSmart server, and I was wondering if it would be at all possible to install a Ubuntu Server onto it for more usability?

Beans

Re: Installing Ubuntu Server on a Mediasmart

Can't tell for sure, but what would that do for you that just buying a barebones system with 2 500 GB drives wouldn't give you (for less money)?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If it will run windows, it should run ubuntu server.

Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    Can't tell for sure, but what would that do for you that just buying a barebones system with 2 500 GB drives wouldn't give you (for less money)?
    Yeah, it does seem pricey to me. For less money you could take an old PC, add storage and run FreeBSD iSCSI and have your own NAS for cheap.

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Beans

Im going to try this. I have an HP 470 already, its worked great but Im sick of windows. Im setting up a hard drive with 10.04 server on another box. I can pull all the windows hard drives from the HP 470 server to test the Ubuntu drive on the hardware so Im not worried about data loss.

Im only home on the weekends for now so this might take some time. Ill start a new thread when I swap the WHS hard drive for Ubuntu server hard drive.

Beans

Finaly got it working. Havent done anything with it yet but I finaly got it on the network and I can SSH into it locally.